ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why (still) horns?  (Read 3946 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Why (still) horns?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »

I got the chance to be part of PA demo/shootout recently, in a room that I have mixed many times. One of the presented options was Martin MLA; which I I was very excited to listen to.

Unfortunately the gents that Martin sent were not able to figure the processing out. The result was a VERY inconsistent sounding PA with coverage problems. Even though Martin had the highest level of box resolution out of any of the brands at the demo it had the most disparity in coverage. There was also a massive 2k hot spot behind the PA (where the stage would be), and this happened with both of their arrays (MLA/WPC).

This is not to say that when well deployed that it is not a fantastic sounding box/array, and that it cannot behave; however if the brand has trouble getting the processing there I would imagine tour companies may have an even more difficult time managing that.

I am very excited about some of things that can be done; however if it cannot be successfully deployed, that is problematic. This anecdote is not a dig at Martin; poor deployment happens I get it; I am simply stating that more complex does not always lead to better results irrespective of the brand.

I would love to see training, prep, planning, knowledge, education, and the execution of a deployment to mitigate these issues.

There is a bit of "know how" involved in setting up these systems from Martin. Not more than any other "A" level system, you just need to know the prediction software. I got a WPC system first time on a festival (didn't even know it existed), the distributor was able to walk me through the software by phone. Sounded good and I was able to remove a slap-back from a building behind FOH during the first show day.
Personally I find Soundvision more difficult even after I completed a three-day training course with L-A.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »

Soundvision is a pretty odd prediction software in my opinion. Drawing out the venue is probably the most maddening part. The predictions are also a little less than useful when you have to do bass and main systems separately. I get where they are going with it, but EASE Focus is a little more intuitive and the results easier to extrapolate I feel. Soundvision is far from the worst though. As much as I love RCF, their prediction software is frustrating and cumbersome to use. It shouldn't be so hard to see in your head where the X, Y, and Z-axis are, but it seems in both sound vision and RCF software that Z is not up and down, X is not left and right and that Y is not back and forth; I seem to never get the markers placed in the right place on the first go around.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 09:55:11 PM »

Technology continues to improve, but the physics has not changed.

JR

Yup.  We have more brute force, stronger materials and adhesives that resist more heat.  But the physics of audio has not changed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 09:55:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.