Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System  (Read 1222 times)

Bob Kidd

System
« on: May 08, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »

Thinking about adding 2 more 828sp subs to bring my 2nd system up to 4 828s with 2 835s. Getting great deal on b stock. At this this will be used for outdoor events up to 500 to 600 people. Would it be better option to run maybe couple JBL vrx instead of 835s over 828s?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: System
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 09:12:44 AM »

Thinking about adding 2 more 828sp subs to bring my 2nd system up to 4 828s with 2 835s. Getting great deal on b stock. At this this will be used for outdoor events up to 500 to 600 people. Would it be better option to run maybe couple JBL vrx instead of 835s over 828s?

Stick with the SRX. Ignoring that we're comparing two different box types, the SRX has another decade of engineering over the VRX which is pretty dang old at this point.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »

Technically, you would only be gaining +3db with the additional subs.  For the VRX cabinets, those are considered constant-curvature (designed to be used at a fixed "constant" angle).  How many do you plan on using?  If more than one cabinet per side, not sure if the VRX would be a good choice for you (unless you have a way to fly them).  In my experience of hearing VRX ground stacked tops, it does not work the way it appears that it would.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »

2 subs to 4 equally powered, same in phase properly coupled gains you 6db's more output. 3 db's for double the wattage and 3 db's for double the surface area. I've measured this many,many times. This is of course is with like subs closer than 1/4 wavelength apart. I like to be closer than 1/8 wavelength myself.  1 sub to 2 - 6 db's, 2 subs to 4 - 6 db's, 4 subs to 8 6db's until the cluster of subs is greater in size than the wavelength it is reproducing.

Douglas R. Allen

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »

2 subs to 4 equally powered, same in phase properly coupled gains you 6db's more output. 3 db's for double the wattage and 3 db's for double the surface area. I've measured this many,many times. This is of course is with like subs closer than 1/4 wavelength apart. I like to be closer than 1/8 wavelength myself.  1 sub to 2 - 6 db's, 2 subs to 4 - 6 db's, 4 subs to 8 6db's until the cluster of subs is greater in size than the wavelength it is reproducing.

Douglas R. Allen

You are absolutely right sir - it works that way the first couple of times you multiply it.  Up to the near field area being full wavelength to the lowest frequency reproduced.  Basically, just like array size works.

It's a significant improvement in bottom end performance - cleaner, tighter and sounds "larger" as well.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »

Douglas R. Allen

Thanks! Subs will not be centered, will need to run them in left right configuration. 2 each side with 835 on top.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.