Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Danley BC215 Directivity

<< < (2/3) > >>

John Hiemburg:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on May 10, 2021, 03:34:05 pm ---The numbers in Direct for the different BC configurations come from actual measurements of the different configurations (1,2 4) as measured outside on the ground without reflections.

They are not simulated.

One way that I like to look at sub directivity (in direct) is to put a mic in front and another behind the subs (at the same distance) to get an idea of the difference.

Here are the actual measurements from the polars

As you can see, the directivity gets greater as you go higher in freq, as would be expected

--- End quote ---

Great, thank you Ivan!

In my case - flown subs (about 25' from the floor, 10' from the ceiling) - would you expect better directivity from the 4 TH118XL's configured as an end-fire array or two BC215's or a single BC415?

Or am I thinking about this wrong? Each of those three configurations would be pretty close in cost all in. The single BC415 is an easier rig (one big piece rather than 4 or 2), and don't have to worry about spacing, delays, etc..

Thanks for your help.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: John Hiemburg on May 10, 2021, 04:14:04 pm ---
Great, thank you Ivan!

In my case - flown subs (about 25' from the floor, 10' from the ceiling) - would you expect better directivity from the 4 TH118XL's configured as an end-fire array or two BC215's or a single BC415?

Or am I thinking about this wrong? Each of those three configurations would be pretty close in cost all in. The single BC415 is an easier rig (one big piece rather than 4 or 2), and don't have to worry about spacing, delays, etc..

Thanks for your help.

--- End quote ---
Here is some things to consider, when you are flying the subs, how important is the rear cancellation?

You can get greater rear cancellation from a cardioid setup vs endfire, but endfire has overall better sound quality.

But if rear rejection is the main concern, you can "let the quality go".

Also when dealing with directional subs (from the electronic cancellation approach), you also need to be mindful of other boundaries behind the subs, as these can nullify any attempt and even make the sound out front worse.  A sub with natural directivity (meaning just less energy going to the rear, but not by cancellation by other drivers) will not suffer from those boundaries as much.

John Hiemburg:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on May 11, 2021, 08:17:08 am ---Here is some things to consider, when you are flying the subs, how important is the rear cancellation?

You can get greater rear cancellation from a cardioid setup vs endfire, but endfire has overall better sound quality.

But if rear rejection is the main concern, you can "let the quality go".

Also when dealing with directional subs (from the electronic cancellation approach), you also need to be mindful of other boundaries behind the subs, as these can nullify any attempt and even make the sound out front worse.  A sub with natural directivity (meaning just less energy going to the rear, but not by cancellation by other drivers) will not suffer from those boundaries as much.

--- End quote ---

Great, thank you. The rear cancellation isn't the main consideration, just getting the low end further out front. In other words, I'm only looking at directionality for the sake of getting my 'bass dollars' into the seats.

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: John Hiemburg on May 11, 2021, 10:34:35 am ---
Great, thank you. The rear cancellation isn't the main consideration, just getting the low end further out front. In other words, I'm only looking at directionality for the sake of getting my 'bass dollars' into the seats.

--- End quote ---

Leviathan?   ::)

Chris.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: John Hiemburg on May 11, 2021, 10:34:35 am ---

--- End quote ---
Any steerable sub configuration will result is LESS forward output.

If you want the most forward output, then just get the proper sub or subs with the output level you need at the frequencies that you need.

There is a falicy that directional subs are louder than the same number just "piled up", and the reason (however SO WRONG) is that the rear energy is folded back to the front.  That is completely WRONG.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version