ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to simplify - options for a modular SOS system that sounds fantastic  (Read 8845 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio

I have the SM80/TH 118 combo too. My vote for a hi-quality powered portable system just underneath the current combo's capabilities would be for a Yamaha DZR 112 and a JTR powered Captivator 212 per side, you'd get a lot of mileage out of it even though it wouldn't really be "modular". The DZR series acts better as a stand alone than the previous DSR series due to its deeper low end capabilities. I guess you could bring out the TH118 if you needed more bass oomph, or have a spare set of Captivator 212s to double up your low end when needed, but then you'd be somewhere near where you are already at.

^^^^^^^ This. I have the older DSR112's (need to get some DZR's and push the DSR's to monitor duty) and JBL PRX815XLF subs (was planning on the Captivators before COVID hit). I've used that system for all sorts of gigs indoors and out and always get unsolicited rave comments on the sound. It isn't going to handle a larger crowd like the Danley setup, but it is shockingly good for such a small system and gets stupid loud.

Matthias McCready

^^^ This.  The X40/750 is about a 1:1 linear system.  If you're looking for the LF rise, the 900-LFC is the ticket.

For even smaller, the Ultra-X20 will get slightly louder than the older UPJ-1P and is slightly smaller than the older UPJunior.  Paired with the 750-LFC sub, it gives you the +4 to +6 dB  LF rise and will get impressively loud for a really tiny PA.  It almost defies the visual.  For reference, we have this exact PA in 3x 24x24x30 cube cases of identical size - 1 sub in each, and 2 Ultra-X22 + hardware in the 3rd. 

For true "coffee house" sized gigs, we have the USW-112P to fill out the last octave below the X22 - a sub that's 45 lbs.

Nice sounding boxes too. Agreed on the stupid loud for the size. Never been disappointed having to use a Meyer Sound rig  :)

Great place to be if the budget allows.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast

If your budget is >$30K, by all means go with the Meyer.

But for bar gigs/small venues/small park crowds, it would be extremely tough to beat a DZR12 over the JTR Captivator C212Pros. Your total investment would be right around $6500 at/near MAP.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports

If your budget is >$30K, by all means go with the Meyer.

While it's not Yamaha MI/JTR prices, even the largest Meyer system mentioned of an Ultra-X40/900-LFC per side does not hit $30k list, much less street price.

Also, one of the requirements was matching tops/subs, so a Yamaha+JTR system doesn't fit the requirements.

Douglas R. Allen

I'm having exactly this question - have been thinking about an upgrade from SRX800's to Danley, but a lot of my gigs have all the challenges you described - and I'd love to be able to still setup the rig solo if I had to. I'm primarily outdoor gigs, so wide coverage from a single box is preferable.

At least in terms of tops - I've been wanting to hear (or hear more reviews of):

-db Ingenia IG4t (and the IG3t)
-Presonus CDL12p (not much lighter than the SM80 - but a powered box)
-Meyer UltraX40

I have a pair of IG4T's and IG2T's and have zero complains about them. When I read about the need for a system to scale up/down they came to mind. I've posted these video's before but I'll post them again. If you search Douglas R. Allen and IG4T there is a lot there.

Not my video just something I found on youtube. 2 IG3T's per side with unknown subs.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jE9_29ISIc

The IG4T's I have. I've ran a single stack of 2 tops before and really thought it sound great and the output was very good. The IG4T's have the same SPL rating as the IG3T's but are designed with subs in mind. At a light 40lbs each the IG4T's with subs do everything a 15/horn always did before for me.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCYYAsTUd0

Douglas R. Allen

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services

I use 4 FBT CS1000's for smaller shows and they're awesome. They pack up small, they're fairly lightweight, somewhat scalable, and I can easily set them up myself. The tops tilt, so they work whether I'm on a flat space, an amphitheater, or a room with a balcony. I use 1 per side for super small shows, and 2 per side, stacked, for larger ones. While they probably don't quite have the juice of an SM80/TH118, they punch well above their weight. I just like them because they're easy to move around and set up, they're loud enough, and they sound great. They're not perfect, but they're perfect for what I need them for.

I sold 4 dB Technologies IG4T's to a friend of mine to replace his 12 box DVA T8 array, and he loves them. He said a pair of IG4T's is about the same output as 6 T8's, but he can easily set them up himself, which he loves. They're very lightweight for their size.

If I were you, if you want a system that's easy to set up by yourself, I'd be looking at a column array like these. Pretty much everyone makes one now, so you have plenty to choose from. I know I wouldn't want to go back to the days of setting up a big trap box system alone, even if the speakers are lighter now. SM80's and TH118's are awesome, but they're very large in comparison to my 4 FBT CS1000's.

Full disclosure, I'm a FBT and Danley dealer, and I get dB Tech through one of my distributors. I'm not a Meyer dealer, but I've always been impressed with their stuff.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Check out BASSBOSS.  Probably have to go to Cali for a demo, though.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Agreed. Stupid name. Serious subs.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Agreed. Stupid name. Serious subs.

The top boxes are really really nice.

Regarding the name, keep in mind who they are selling to.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US

Thanks for all the responses. I have questions.

Spec wise the output of tt2a and Sm80 are stated to be the same but I can say with certainty that the sm80 can outrun the tt2a and then some.
This surprises me. From this can I surmise that the TT22-a is another small step down in overall output?

I think you’d be well served with anything in the tt range from rcf or even nx.  It will basically be a sideways move but you will gain the ability to use the box without subs when needed.
The TT series has certainly been in my short list.

Have you looked at any other Danley boxes that can be pole mounted and run stand alone? Sm96 perhaps.
I have considered this but not recently. It's worth another look. Thanks.

I’d almost say to get something like an evox 12 or es1203 for the smaller stuff. 
You may be on to something. I've considered that or a pair of RCF HD32a just for the smaller stuff. I haven't heard a column system that sounds as clean as a good 12" 2-way but I've only heard Bose and JBL column systems.
For anyone that has used some of these new "higher-end" column systems, do you like the sound relative to a good 12"/2-way? Which column system has been your favorite?

Besides the RCF TT+ models - also check out the Martin CDD Live 15.
That looks like a solid box. I'd like to get an idea what pricing might look like.
Any Martin dealers feel free to send me a PM with a quote for a pair of the CDD-LIVE 15's and SXP subs.

I have the SM80/TH 118 combo too. My vote for a hi-quality powered portable system just underneath the current combo's capabilities would be for a Yamaha DZR 112 ...
^^^^^^^ This. I have the older DSR112's (need to get some DZR's and push the DSR's to monitor duty). It isn't going to handle a larger crowd like the Danley setup, but it is shockingly good for such a small system and gets stupid loud.
...it would be extremely tough to beat a DZR12...
I have used the DSR112 several times and really liked it for what it was. However, it wasn't nearly as "open" and clean as the SM80. I'm surprised at the recommendations for the DZR12.
Is the subjective sound quality of the DZR series really close enough to the SM80 that it would meet my criteria of "Sounds roughly as good as the SM80"?
I know the SM80 isn't perfect and there are several boxes that sound better but I would not have expected anything squarely in the MI market to get close. If it does, I'm all about some commonly-available, somewhat cheaper boxes. No one has recommended the matching sub.
Am I to assume the sub in that series is a let down like most of the previous Yamaha subs?

Meyer Ultra-X40.
Sounds absolutely fantastic and can get LOUD if needed.
750-LFC if you want a supercompact sub.
900-LFC if you want a compact sub with more low extension and  SPL.
That looks like it checks all the boxes perfectly. Thanks for that suggestion. Pricing concerns me a bit as I have no idea what it might be.
Are there any Meyer dealers here willing to send a quote for that setup?

I have a pair of IG4T's and IG2T's and have zero complains about them.
Not my video just something I found on youtube. 2 IG3T's per side with unknown subs.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jE9_29ISIc
I've seen your videos, read your posts, and that video too a while back. I have been keenly interested in the IG series for some time. I haven't found a bad review of them. That video is particularly impressive. To get that level above a not-so-quiet crowd of that size with such a small setup is impressive.
If you need subs, what do you run with the IG series?
What I haven't seen is someone compare the sound of a Danley box with the IG series. The providers I'm familiar with near me in Birmingham, AL only rent bigger stuff or cheaper stuff as far as I know. No in-between so not likely I'll find those in anyone's stock to demo myself. If any of you have connections down here with someone who might have a set, I'd be grateful.

I so much want to swallow my pride and consider those. The DV12-MKII looks like a solid contender. I'd certainly want to hear them first. Not exactly a standard horn type there.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.