ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone every used Full Range Speakers as a Subwoofer?  (Read 4819 times)

Mike Henderson

Has anyone every used Full Range Speakers as a Subwoofer?
« on: May 06, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »

So guys, in my Garage's DJ Rig I turned on my equipment as normal and no sound from my passive EAW Sub. So to test, I removed the cable and plugged into my EV Eliminator i Series 15" full range speakers

https://av.loyola.com/products/audio/ev-eliminator-i.html

and I cannot believe the bass I am getting from it, I mean serious "punch"! I am wondering if it would be safe for the speaker itself if I were to use it only as a Subwoofer? In my garage only I mean and not for any mobile use.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Has anyone every used Full Range Speakers as a Subwoofer?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »

If it works, and you like the sound, there is no reason to not use it that way.
I presume it is getting a low pass signal.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Henderson

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 01:50:52 PM »

If it works, and you like the sound, there is no reason to not use it that way.
I presume it is getting a low pass signal.

I was testing briefly with the same cable from the EAW Sub which is coming from the bass Amp and LOW OUT from the Rane Crossover.

But should I disable the speaker's internal crossover and run a direct line from Amp to woofer or can I leave as is with the crossover and horn connected?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:51:52 PM »

That speaker has an effective frequency response down to about 50hz.  The 'punch' you're hearing is typically around 80hz or so which is well within the speaker's capabilities.

Once you get below 50hz though, the speaker starts becoming less efficient, meaning you need to adjust the EQ to level it out. This also means you'd need to give the speaker more power.  As long as you're not overdriving the speaker, you should be ok, but you aren't going to get the same maximum volume out of the unit.  Also, you need to pay attention to make sure you don't physically cause damage to the speaker with lower frequencies.  It may be possible to damage the unit that way even if you don't over power it.

Running through your crossover and then the internal crossover on the machine isn't automatically going to cause problems, but the results may not be easily predictable.  If you like how it sounds, then great.

If you want a real sub with real sub performance though, you are likely better off getting something designed for that task.
Brian Jojade

Mike Henderson

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »

That speaker has an effective frequency response down to about 50hz.  The 'punch' you're hearing is typically around 80hz or so which is well within the speaker's capabilities.

Once you get below 50hz though, the speaker starts becoming less efficient, meaning you need to adjust the EQ to level it out. This also means you'd need to give the speaker more power.  As long as you're not overdriving the speaker, you should be ok, but you aren't going to get the same maximum volume out of the unit.  Also, you need to pay attention to make sure you don't physically cause damage to the speaker with lower frequencies.  It may be possible to damage the unit that way even if you don't over power it.

Running through your crossover and then the internal crossover on the machine isn't automatically going to cause problems, but the results may not be easily predictable.  If you like how it sounds, then great.

If you want a real sub with real sub performance though, you are likely better off getting something designed for that task.

GREAT, understood on all points, thanks. good to know I would not have to open it up to tamper with anything.

One more thing please and this is only a thought. I realize that when listening to a bass speaker you will hear a different tone of bass or get a different effect if listen from in front, the back or at the side of it.

Might it do any speaker damage "long term" if facing the cabs to the side walls of my Garage so when hanging out in the middle of Garage we will be heard the bass from in front of the side the Speakers?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 04:50:25 PM »

Might it do any speaker damage "long term" if facing the cabs to the side walls of my Garage so when hanging out in the middle of Garage we will be heard the bass from in front of the side the Speakers?

No.
Brian Jojade

Mike Henderson

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 06:20:36 PM »

No.

It's totally surprising to me that these two 15" full range speakers sounds twice as loud using it as subs as the EAW SB1000 dual 18 sub to begin with.

Yes as was known before, the placement of the sub in this crappy room is everything. I just placed the two 15's at the back wall facing forward and they sounded crappy but when I turned them to the side facing the side wall BIG difference. Only problem is they are rattling my shelves and ceiling with even lower bass, that's the amount of bass they are giving out when placed in that position.

The only thing I seem to have no problem with is when I run the full range speakers normally from the back wall facing forward. I am not understanding why a TRI-Amp system's sub is giving these problems and not the bass from the full range speakers running off a receiver when placed in the same spot?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:28:07 PM by Mike Henderson »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »

It's totally surprising to me that these two 15" full range speakers sounds twice as loud using it as subs as the EAW SB1000 dual 18 sub to begin with.

Yes as was known before, the placement of the sub in this crappy room is everything. I just placed the two 15's at the back wall facing forward and they sounded crappy but when I turned them to the side facing the side wall BIG difference. Only problem is they are rattling my shelves and ceiling with even lower bass, that's the amount of bass they are giving out when placed in that position.

The only thing I seem to have no problem with is when I run the full range speakers normally from the back wall facing forward. I am not understanding why a TRI-Amp system's sub is giving these problems and not the bass from the full range speakers running off a receiver when placed in the same spot?

Because the sub is going lower.  You're equating the low mids with the low lows (which are 'harder' to hear).
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 10:23:43 PM »

I would be looking into why the sub is not working before these speakers meet the same fate.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 06:46:54 AM »

I would be looking into why the sub is not working before these speakers meet the same fate.

Great advice guys, thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 06:46:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.