Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Has anyone every used Full Range Speakers as a Subwoofer?

(1/3) > >>

Mike Henderson:
So guys, in my Garage's DJ Rig I turned on my equipment as normal and no sound from my passive EAW Sub. So to test, I removed the cable and plugged into my EV Eliminator i Series 15" full range speakers

https://av.loyola.com/products/audio/ev-eliminator-i.html

and I cannot believe the bass I am getting from it, I mean serious "punch"! I am wondering if it would be safe for the speaker itself if I were to use it only as a Subwoofer? In my garage only I mean and not for any mobile use.

Keith Broughton:
If it works, and you like the sound, there is no reason to not use it that way.
I presume it is getting a low pass signal.

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on May 06, 2021, 01:43:19 PM ---If it works, and you like the sound, there is no reason to not use it that way.
I presume it is getting a low pass signal.

--- End quote ---

I was testing briefly with the same cable from the EAW Sub which is coming from the bass Amp and LOW OUT from the Rane Crossover.

But should I disable the speaker's internal crossover and run a direct line from Amp to woofer or can I leave as is with the crossover and horn connected?

Brian Jojade:
That speaker has an effective frequency response down to about 50hz.  The 'punch' you're hearing is typically around 80hz or so which is well within the speaker's capabilities.

Once you get below 50hz though, the speaker starts becoming less efficient, meaning you need to adjust the EQ to level it out. This also means you'd need to give the speaker more power.  As long as you're not overdriving the speaker, you should be ok, but you aren't going to get the same maximum volume out of the unit.  Also, you need to pay attention to make sure you don't physically cause damage to the speaker with lower frequencies.  It may be possible to damage the unit that way even if you don't over power it.

Running through your crossover and then the internal crossover on the machine isn't automatically going to cause problems, but the results may not be easily predictable.  If you like how it sounds, then great.

If you want a real sub with real sub performance though, you are likely better off getting something designed for that task.

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on May 06, 2021, 02:51:52 PM ---That speaker has an effective frequency response down to about 50hz.  The 'punch' you're hearing is typically around 80hz or so which is well within the speaker's capabilities.

Once you get below 50hz though, the speaker starts becoming less efficient, meaning you need to adjust the EQ to level it out. This also means you'd need to give the speaker more power.  As long as you're not overdriving the speaker, you should be ok, but you aren't going to get the same maximum volume out of the unit.  Also, you need to pay attention to make sure you don't physically cause damage to the speaker with lower frequencies.  It may be possible to damage the unit that way even if you don't over power it.

Running through your crossover and then the internal crossover on the machine isn't automatically going to cause problems, but the results may not be easily predictable.  If you like how it sounds, then great.

If you want a real sub with real sub performance though, you are likely better off getting something designed for that task.

--- End quote ---

GREAT, understood on all points, thanks. good to know I would not have to open it up to tamper with anything.

One more thing please and this is only a thought. I realize that when listening to a bass speaker you will hear a different tone of bass or get a different effect if listen from in front, the back or at the side of it.

Might it do any speaker damage "long term" if facing the cabs to the side walls of my Garage so when hanging out in the middle of Garage we will be heard the bass from in front of the side the Speakers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version