ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Se Electronics V Kick or....  (Read 2649 times)

Sean Anderson

Se Electronics V Kick or....
« on: May 05, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »

Hi hivemind! I have a D6 and a Sennheiser e901 that I use for kick at the moment. I like them both, the senny a bit better. That said, both are quite clicky. Also the sennheiser only fits into 60% of the drums I come across. I would like to buy another kick mic and the Se Electronics stuff seems interesting. Anyone have experience with the V Kick? I didn't seem to find it in the huge kick drum thread.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Se Electronics V Kick or....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »

I find kick mics often have a strong contour built-in, which often makes all kick drums sound the same.
I'd much rather the mic was fairly neutral, so I can shape the sound in any way I see fit. Better to start with a neutral canvas etc.

My go-to was (haven't done a gig for a while) a half-decent large-diaphragm condenser, placed at the port of the resonant head of the drum. Those mics typically have an LF response that reaches all the way down below 20Hz, while being reasonably flat and neutral in the kHz range. ie, I was capturing the full frequency range.

An original (black body, green stripe, red switches) AKG C3000 worked well. I also used an AT3035, SE X1D, and others.

If you want to use a dynamic mic, a Beyer M88 with a foam pop shield works well. There's also the classic AKG D12 if you can find a good one. The D12VR reissue does well as a replacement IMO, and has the bonus that if you want an instant-modern-kick-sound, you can get there by applying +48v phantom.
Thinking about it, the Sennheiser MD421 also works well. The pattern here is that all those dynamics feature some kind of bass chamber (whether advertised or not). I can tell you this first-hand - I've dismantled all of them before.

The SE V-Kick looks okay, but there's a definite boost in the kHz range that I'd rather avoid.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »

Someone mentioned this mic a few months back and I'd love to try it out when I can get bands back here. And when I can start spending again.

https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/dtp-percussion/dtp-640-rex

A dual-element mic sounds interesting.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:53:11 PM »

Not exclusively about the SE mics, but we have a PINNED THREAD ABOUT KICK DRUM MICS.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sean Anderson

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:20:20 PM »

Not exclusively about the SE mics, but we have a PINNED THREAD ABOUT KICK DRUM MICS.

Tim, I'll be honest, I thought the question may get more traction out of that monster thread. And...

John and Chris gave two great answers, one of which I have not come across before (Lewitt mic). A friend offered to let me borrow a beyerdynamic M88, which is a great start, and I am going to try to check out that lewitt dtp 640 and look into a few of the other options. Thanks for the responses.

Still, I have not talked to anyone who has used the SE.

I can move the question over to the other thread if you like.

Alex Cheng

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:06 PM »

Tim, I'll be honest, I thought the question may get more traction out of that monster thread. And...

John and Chris gave two great answers, one of which I have not come across before (Lewitt mic). A friend offered to let me borrow a beyerdynamic M88, which is a great start, and I am going to try to check out that lewitt dtp 640 and look into a few of the other options. Thanks for the responses.

Still, I have not talked to anyone who has used the SE.

I can move the question over to the other thread if you like.

For what it's worth, this YouTube video provides an excellent clean demo of the V-Kick vs. a B91, B52, and D6 for reference. If flatter/less clicky is what you're looking for, though, it's probably not the way to go.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 11:19:06 PM »

I got a set of Miktek PM series mics and it included their PM11 kick drum mic. As far as drum mics go, it was instantly one of the better-sounding kits I have come across. The kick mic has a very linear response akin to the Shure Beta 91 concept but in a conventional device. I own a Beta 91 and it is still probably my favorite mic. It doesn't have too much low end, you can never have enough click and it is easy to dial in multiple genres of sound with it. The Miktek PM11 is similar in regards to the Audix D6 with a solid low end but has more mids and a well-balanced attack/click. It is a workable mic that has characteristics of several popular mics kind of all wrapped into one. Solid low end, good click and attack, mids that are present but not overbearing, and sounds good out of the gate.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 02:49:38 AM »

First of all, nobody here cares about another Kick mic thread.

Also, I've been grabbing a Heil PR35 whenever I need a mic on a low frequency instrument lately.  ;D
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 11:31:54 PM »

Anyone have experience with the V Kick?

I've got quite a few sE mics in the arsenal. Picked up a V Kick, but it was just prior to lockdown. Have not had a chance to use it. If that changes, I'll let you know.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »

D6's are my festival mics.  Yes they have a sound but it's workable and way better than some other choices in that price range to my ear...  If I have a band for the night and they are not straight ahead acoustic, my kick mic of choice is the AT AE2500  dual capsule.   It is a very cool mic on a kick.  Which has nothing to do with the SE of course...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.