ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VI3000 desk and editor compatibility? How to format my USB stick?  (Read 1976 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

So I've picked up a string of gigs that requires me to use the VI3000. I like the desk well enough, but coming from using Yamaha stuff almost exclusively the software side of things on the soundcraft is driving me crazy.

At the last gig I formatted a usb key about 4 different ways before it was finally recognized. I put my show on it and didn't think much more about it.

I have now downloaded the latedt VI editor I could find, which was published in 2018, and it won't recognize my USB key.

Does anyone here work with VI's and the offline editor and could give me the heads up?

Coming from Yamaha, the Soundcraft ecosphere feels like the stone ages in regards to their suite of apps. And I say "suite" with a grain of salt because there ain't much out there.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: VI3000 desk and editor compatibility? How to format my USB stick?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 10:53:45 PM »

So I've picked up a string of gigs that requires me to use the VI3000. I like the desk well enough, but coming from using Yamaha stuff almost exclusively the software side of things on the soundcraft is driving me crazy.

At the last gig I formatted a usb key about 4 different ways before it was finally recognized. I put my show on it and didn't think much more about it.

I have now downloaded the latedt VI editor I could find, which was published in 2018, and it won't recognize my USB key.

Does anyone here work with VI's and the offline editor and could give me the heads up?

Coming from Yamaha, the Soundcraft ecosphere feels like the stone ages in regards to their suite of apps. And I say "suite" with a grain of salt because there ain't much out there.

I've only twisted knobs on a Vi for a ballet playback/curtain speech type event, interfaced with QLab - just hit "go" at the top of the show.  In playing with the Vi's UI it reminded me of the things I didn't like in the Si.  Some things were intuitive and made sense... and other things are buried somewhere or simply don't exist.  I'm sure my lack of familiarity played a big role in my 'meh' satisfaction rating. 

I think Tom Der is the only man standing at Soundcraft USA.  An email to first dot last at harman dot com might find him.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:40:31 AM »

I've only twisted knobs on a Vi for a ballet playback/curtain speech type event, interfaced with QLab - just hit "go" at the top of the show.  In playing with the Vi's UI it reminded me of the things I didn't like in the Si.  Some things were intuitive and made sense... and other things are buried somewhere or simply don't exist.  I'm sure my lack of familiarity played a big role in my 'meh' satisfaction rating. 

I think Tom Der is the only man standing at Soundcraft USA.  An email to first dot last at harman dot com might find him.

Kinda my thoughts on it too. A decade ago there was a clear audio difference between the Soundcrafts and the Yamahas. Today, not so much. There isn't a big reason to pick them over the incredibly easy to use Yamaha stuff. Heck they lost a ton of market share to Behringer even mostly due to onboard features, remote apps, and offline software.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tom Der

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »

Pretty unusual to have issues with Vi recognizing USB key- not sure why you were having such a hard time with.  Generally plug and play...  Pretty much same for Virtual Vi (the off line editor).  Best thing to do is to contact me directly at Tder at Harman.com  and let me know what versions of Windows you are on and if the computer you are using has any card slot readers or other things. Also let us know if you are running Windows on a Mac.

I'll either deal with it or forward you to Mike or Tony who are part of our North American Vi Support team in Richardson/Dallas Texas.

Best,

Tom

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »

Pretty unusual to have issues with Vi recognizing USB key- not sure why you were having such a hard time with.  Generally plug and play...  Pretty much same for Virtual Vi (the off line editor).  Best thing to do is to contact me directly at Tder at Harman.com  and let me know what versions of Windows you are on and if the computer you are using has any card slot readers or other things. Also let us know if you are running Windows on a Mac.

I'll either deal with it or forward you to Mike or Tony who are part of our North American Vi Support team in Richardson/Dallas Texas.

Best,

Tom

Because I searched and this particular info did not come up anywhere online I will post things here if you don't mind. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Day of show, I was using a Mac to format the USB stick in the first place. I tried mac's stock way, then a couple of variations on FAT until I struck the one that worked. I'm sorry I don't remember which flavor did finally work.

For Virtual VI I am using an old Win7 laptop because that is my gig computer. It has Smaart and lots of other control software on it. I know it's an old and slow machine, but it is bulletproof reliable. Unlike anything I have Win10 on.

Yes this laptop has an SD card slot and it had an SD card in it, which the Virtual VI recognized. Even if I ejected that SD card I still could not get the VirVi to recognize the USB key. I ended up transferring my show to the SD card and VirVI did read it fine from there.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 12:33:26 PM »

Because I searched and this particular info did not come up anywhere online I will post things here if you don't mind. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Day of show, I was using a Mac to format the USB stick in the first place. I tried mac's stock way, then a couple of variations on FAT until I struck the one that worked. I'm sorry I don't remember which flavor did finally work.

For Virtual VI I am using an old Win7 laptop because that is my gig computer. It has Smaart and lots of other control software on it. I know it's an old and slow machine, but it is bulletproof reliable. Unlike anything I have Win10 on.

Yes this laptop has an SD card slot and it had an SD card in it, which the Virtual VI recognized. Even if I ejected that SD card I still could not get the VirVi to recognize the USB key. I ended up transferring my show to the SD card and VirVI did read it fine from there.

This is something I've never run across in over 10 years of using a Vi console and the offline editor through various versions.
I have two instances of the editor running on a Win 7 and a Win 10 machine at the moment as I compare some show files.
Usb keys are usually just plug and play, at least with the editor on a Windows machine. (never tried it on a mac)
Formatting as a flavour of FAT makes sense as the console computer is windows.

When you go to the "show" tab in the menu screen, do you see more than one "EXT" option in the external storage window on the right hand side? I also have an SD card in the gig laptop and my usb keys show up as "EXT 2" in the Vi editor.

Clutching at straws, but...
Are there any other Vi console software/update files on the usb key? That might confuse things if they are in the root level and not tucked away in a folder.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »

When you go to the "show" tab in the menu screen, do you see more than one "EXT" option in the external storage window on the right hand side? I also have an SD card in the gig laptop and my usb keys show up as "EXT 2" in the Vi editor.
No, I just saw the one SD card in the EXT screen
Clutching at straws, but...
Are there any other Vi console software/update files on the usb key? That might confuse things if they are in the root level and not tucked away in a folder.
No, I erased the USB stick when formatting. It was blank.

Tom Der

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 04:46:20 PM »

I supsect there is some issue on how virtual Vi looks at multiple drive options. We have had a few issues with computers with combo readers. As John mentioned typically the USB Drive will still show up. Regardless glad the workaround using SD card worked. I'll check with the product manager for VI once he's back from holiday next week and see if he has additional comments.

No, I just saw the one SD card in the EXT screenNo, I erased the USB stick when formatting. It was blank.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 04:46:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.