ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft EFX8 monitoring  (Read 1493 times)

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
Soundcraft EFX8 monitoring
« on: May 03, 2021, 08:35:40 PM »

Working with a friend. He has a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer. His inputs consist of one mic and stereo in from a laptop.
Output is to an iRig, in stereo, and then to the net via his iPhone. He does use the effects on his vocals (mic).
He wants to monitor what he is sending to the iRig. He has a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones.

When he plugs the headphones into the "Headphone" jack the channel faders have no effect on what he hears in the phones.

When he plugs the phones into the "Mono" jack he only gets signal to his left earphone, but what he hears follows the faders.

If he plugs them into the "Monitor" L or R he doesn't get sufficient level in his phones. The pre/post button seems to only affect these two jacks.

He would really like to hear stereo, when it is present, that follows the fader settings. Is this possible with this board?

I pointed him to a $3.10 adapter that will send the mono signal to both L&R on the phones, but he would like stereo if possible.

Thanks for your input.

Scott Slater

Re: Soundcraft EFX8 monitoring
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:23 AM »

When he plugs the headphones into the "Headphone" jack the channel faders have no effect on what he hears in the phones.

Was there a PFL button engaged somewhere?  Looking at the block diagram the headphone/PFL bus should be post fader normally.  The master fader won't have an effect on it, but the channel faders will.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:26:52 AM »

I thinking as well that there is at least one if not more PFL buttons pushed/engaged.

Doing that would directly send the channels audio to the headphones bypassing the fader level, PFL stands for "pre fader listen"

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:51:48 AM »

I thinking as well that there is at least one if not more PFL buttons pushed/engaged.

Doing that would directly send the channels audio to the headphones bypassing the fader level, PFL stands for "pre fader listen"

I failed to mention that, yes, we could press the PFL button for a fader but this gave us a pre-fader signal.
He wants to listen to what his final output sounds like. I'm not sure if there was one pressed inadvertantly that we didn't want pressed but we can check that.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »

I failed to mention that, yes, we could press the PFL button for a fader but this gave us a pre-fader signal.
He wants to listen to what his final output sounds like. I'm not sure if there was one pressed inadvertantly that we didn't want pressed but we can check that.
With ALL the PFL buttons released, you should hear the stereo output from the board, following the volume of the Master Faders (and the level control, right below the Phones jack).
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »

With ALL the PFL buttons released, you should hear the stereo output from the board, following the volume of the Master Faders (and the level control, right below the Phones jack).
Chris.

Thanks for the help. Yup, there was one PFL button depressed on an unused channel. All is well now!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »

Thanks for the help. Yup, there was one PFL button depressed on an unused channel. All is well now!
An errant PFL button can often bite you on the bum.

Which is why many mixers have a "rude solo" light which flashes when any PFL/Solo button is pressed.  On digital mixers, it's not uncommon to have a "Clear All Solo" button, too.

On your EFX8, it looks like the rude solo light is the "PFL Active" LED above the master LR meters (though I don't think it flashes)

From the manual:
"11 PFL - When the latching PFL switch is pressed, the pre-fade pre-mute signal is fed to the headphones, control room output and meters, where it replaces the MIX. The PFL ACTIVE LED on the Master section illuminates to warn that a PFL is active. This is a useful way of listening to any required input signal without interrupting the main mix, for making adjustments or tracing problems. When PFL is pressed anywhere on the console, the Control Room outputs automatically switch from monitoring the Mix Outputs."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.