ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for experienced opinions on KS118 and SRX818  (Read 10717 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Looking for experienced opinions on KS118 and SRX818
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2021, 07:53:27 PM »

Based on Luke's post that you can get 812s for around 1K and 818s for 1.3k these days, yeah really! In fact after reading that, I'm seriously considering it myself.

Reading the OP, he said it's for his band and occasionally others. But it's been interesting reading everyone's thoughts on ROI and stuff anyway.

Reading other's perspectives, viewpoints and opinions usually makes for some good reading for sure.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:30:10 PM by Steve-White »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2021, 08:55:47 PM »

My big point was that you can't get much better than the SRX line without spending double the money. The features, the performance, A wooden box... et all. You can't really get a better speaker without spending considerably more. RCF may be the next best thing with their NX line. Almost double the cost at retail. A QSC K12.2 costs $800 on ( on the high end, I see them for $750 new and I'm sure you can snag them for $700 new perhaps through the right dealer ) most online stores. The SRX, if you find people on this forum, and even through Northern Lights and Sound, you can get right about the price I mentioned. Shipping is a big? mark these days!!! Shipping has gone up, so finding one at that price with reasonable shipping may be hard.

I don't think the OP has an ROI or PBP to worry about. It is more about what he can afford; I believe. If you have QSC K12.2 money, then for what it costs to buy another K12.2, you can acquire a better tool. Will it make him more money? Will it get him more gigs? Will it make his life easier? Will it make his clients happier? I propose yes to all of those. I think it will make his life easier, improving his performance and talent, which will lead to happier clients that will spread the word increasing his gig count, which will lead to more money. Will having more of what he has do the same thing? Also yes, perhaps to all of those things. I can tell a difference between a K12 and an SRX. For me, the SRX is my choice given the market and options. I don't have d&b, L'acoustics, and Martin money moving for me yet, but boy if I did... One more year like I had in 2019, I would be all over an L' Acoustics rig!!!! The SRX rig made enough of a difference to me to really consider tripling down on the cost to get the real next best thing.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »

For what it’s worth I have seen street prices for the  RCF nx very close to what you can find “good deals” on srx for.  In fact I know someone who picked up nx32a for less than the best deals I could find on the srx812p.

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2021, 08:52:29 AM »

For what it’s worth I have seen street prices for the  RCF nx very close to what you can find “good deals” on srx for.  In fact I know someone who picked up nx32a for less than the best deals I could find on the srx812p.

Also depends where he is.

In Australia RCF HD 32a is considerably cheaper than SRX. I don’t think you can get NX. KW is cheaper than SRX but based on these comments is too close to consider.

I got a good deal on my RCF TT22as but I paid about the same as an SRX 812 would cost now.

I’ve literally never seen a band run SRX tops here but I’d like to hear them.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:35 PM »

In the states, RCF is pretty spensive! An NX45 retails around the $1,800 mark. It can be found cheaper than that through certain dealers, but what is weird is the NX32 is priced really well here. You can get the NX32 for about the price of an SRX-812. While I do believe the NX32 is a better speaker all around, it is not feature-laden like the SRX line and I think performance-wise, they are pretty much equal. I own an octet of RCF NX12SMA's and they are stellar boxes. They cost me a little bit more than the SRX-812's though.

The big problem with RCF is that while they have stuff that is inexpensive, the complimentary sub is usually where you eat any potential savings. If you can get the NX32, what is going to hurt is getting a set of 8004, or 9004 subs to match it! The subs are easily twice the cost of most similar models. An 8004 will set you back nearly $3k, while the 9004 will set you back about $4k! Certainly better subs than most any option from the usual suspects, but it is the pinch point for going to RCF I think.

Taking a look now at current SRX sub prices and it seems that the 818 single 18" model has gone up a little bit. I don't recall them being quite as expensive as they are now. I may just now have been paying attention to retail prices though at the time I picked mine up. I was dealing with NSL and other dealers at the time to work out pricing. I got mine for about $1,400 each with shipping and a cover. That was nearly 2 years ago though.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2021, 03:05:37 AM »

In the states, RCF is pretty spensive! An NX45 retails around the $1,800 mark. It can be found cheaper than that through certain dealers, but what is weird is the NX32 is priced really well here. You can get the NX32 for about the price of an SRX-812. While I do believe the NX32 is a better speaker all around, it is not feature-laden like the SRX line and I think performance-wise, they are pretty much equal. I own an octet of RCF NX12SMA's and they are stellar boxes. They cost me a little bit more than the SRX-812's though.

The big problem with RCF is that while they have stuff that is inexpensive, the complimentary sub is usually where you eat any potential savings. If you can get the NX32, what is going to hurt is getting a set of 8004, or 9004 subs to match it! The subs are easily twice the cost of most similar models. An 8004 will set you back nearly $3k, while the 9004 will set you back about $4k! Certainly better subs than most any option from the usual suspects, but it is the pinch point for going to RCF I think.

Taking a look now at current SRX sub prices and it seems that the 818 single 18" model has gone up a little bit. I don't recall them being quite as expensive as they are now. I may just now have been paying attention to retail prices though at the time I picked mine up. I was dealing with NSL and other dealers at the time to work out pricing. I got mine for about $1,400 each with shipping and a cover. That was nearly 2 years ago though.

The RCF subs price ok here but the good ones like the ones you mention are heavy.

I did a one man gig up stairs today using one of my pairs of sub 705. Couldn’t have done that with 8004s. SRX... maybe in a pinch.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2021, 10:19:11 AM »

Taking a look now at current SRX sub prices and it seems that the 818 single 18" model has gone up a little bit.

SRX models have had a couple of minor price increases. Harman Professional recently also sent notice that starting in mid June a 5% temporary surcharge will be added to invoices across ALL lines in response to transportation & component cost increases due to supply chain disruption. They didn't specify if that would affect MAP or MSRP pricing.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »

Quite the flurry of input here ;).

Considering the OP's original equipment list, and his stated future plans, I would recommend:

1)  Sell the KSUB and buy 1-2 QSC KW181's to go with the current set of QSC speakers.  This will run you either 1.5K or 3K.  This is by far the least expensive option and is a very good rig.  Anyone that can't make this rig sound good needs to work on their mixing chops IMO.

2)  If the OP wants to overhaul/replace his FOH, sure, I agree that the SRX system is a better choice than the QSC system; however, it is much more expensive.

Just to put things into a bit of perspective here, I have heard QSC systems that sounded outstanding and I have heard SRX systems that I found it hard to understand how anyone could make them sound so bad.  The chops on the mixing board makes all the difference IME.

Now, I will agree that I have heard QSC K12's sound relatively bad on many more occasions than I have heard SRX sound bad.  Furthermore, the SRX will go louder and still sound good while the QSC system will become harsh at higher SPL.

If it were my band and gear, I would likely stick with the QSC's.... or at least I believe I would.  There is always that irrational moment when something happens to you for the umpteeth time and when you get home at the end of the night you don't even unload the trailer but instead run straight to the computer and order something new in your fit of rage ;).

.... or maybe I am the only one that has done this!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »

^^^  Naw, you're not the only one that's done a fit of rage buy or two.

My last one was an Air Compressor.  Been using a 5HP & 2HP Quincy's in tandem and was running down to ~50 working PSI sandblasting the 5 aluminum wheels from the Jeep.  Ordered a new 10HP Emax rig, then discovered the 1/8" nozzle on the blaster gun was worn to almost 3/16" - which explains why "it used to work".

Oh well, I wanted the quieter 10HP Emax anyway and it'll run a 3/16" nozzle in the blaster gun.  :)

That's the latest one of many...  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:12:58 PM by Steve-White »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

Quite the flurry of input here ;).

Considering the OP's original equipment list, and his stated future plans, I would recommend:

1)  Sell the KSUB and buy 1-2 QSC KW181's to go with the current set of QSC speakers.  This will run you either 1.5K or 3K.  This is by far the least expensive option and is a very good rig.  Anyone that can't make this rig sound good needs to work on their mixing chops IMO.

2)  If the OP wants to overhaul/replace his FOH, sure, I agree that the SRX system is a better choice than the QSC system; however, it is much more expensive.

Just to put things into a bit of perspective here, I have heard QSC systems that sounded outstanding and I have heard SRX systems that I found it hard to understand how anyone could make them sound so bad.  The chops on the mixing board makes all the difference IME.

Now, I will agree that I have heard QSC K12's sound relatively bad on many more occasions than I have heard SRX sound bad.  Furthermore, the SRX will go louder and still sound good while the QSC system will become harsh at higher SPL.

If it were my band and gear, I would likely stick with the QSC's.... or at least I believe I would.  There is always that irrational moment when something happens to you for the umpteeth time and when you get home at the end of the night you don't even unload the trailer but instead run straight to the computer and order something new in your fit of rage ;).

.... or maybe I am the only one that has done this!

No.... no you are not Scott.... ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.