Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Looking for experienced opinions on KS118 and SRX818

<< < (2/13) > >>

Mal Brown:
Personally i shy away from JBL over service issues I experienced a while back.  Actually experiencing one now.  Not mine but a product I recommended to my community Parks and Rec District.   Ok when it works, when it doesn't you may find yourself in your own.

I'm not a huge fan of the JBL overstated sound thing as well..  To my ear there is a baked in sound I tend to want to get rid of through EQ.   I haven't mixed on the latest generation though so maybe that isn't a thing any more.

I respected co-sound guy I am close to landed some th-mini (th-12? I'm not a Danley guy...)  He is pretty close to over the moon with them.

As far as tops go.  I have 153's over 2 or 4 181's.   It is a pretty healthy rig.  If I were changing things out for another 3 way box, I expect I would end up with the Yamaha DZR 3 way.  I have that box a listen at the last NAMM I attended and it would have to be in the mix for me.

Richard Penrose:
I know a few guys who have used the JBL PRX/SRX boxes and had reliability issues and poor service support. I also know a few companies who have been using the KW153/KW181 rigs for years doing several shows a week and have had zero issues with any of them. I have a pair of KW181s myself and they are solid, reliable and good sounding workhorses.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Richard Penrose on May 04, 2021, 01:14:40 pm ---I know a few guys who have used the JBL PRX/SRX boxes and had reliability issues and poor service support. I also know a few companies who have been using the KW153/KW181 rigs for years doing several shows a week and have had zero issues with any of them. I have a pair of KW181s myself and they are solid, reliable and good sounding workhorses.

--- End quote ---

I have tons of QSC (well actually it's been slowly trickling away) and have some SRX/STX.  The JBL is a whole step up, especially the STX subs which are basically priced at giveaway right now, however I too had some infant mortality issues on the amp modules on the SRX. 

The QSC stuff has been beaten hard and put up wet and just keeps going.  Even more amazing is we have QSC HPR monitors and they have really done well over the years.

Mike Santarelli:
You may also want to look at something like the rcf nx32 or nx45 and the 8003 or even 8004 subs. 

I do own srx 835/828 and several rcf products. Unless you are looking at the 835 Id take the nx32 or nx45 over an srx 812 or 815 without hesitation. 

The srx is a winner in its price point for sure but there is something about the way the rcf boxes project that I prefer. 

The easy solution is add more of what you have.

Luke Geis:
I'm relatively certain that most of the bugs for the JBL SRX line have been worked out by now. I have had great luck with them I suppose. In a total of 9 units that I have either purchased or installed, only one has failed. The one that failed was the hardest working one that existed in a club that had live music 5 nights a week and DJ's the other two. It lasted three years before the amp module said it had enough. It made its ROI for sure.

I too really like the RCF offerings. They do come at a premium though. The literature they have is true and the speaker will do what it says it will do. But comparable speakers cost almost double what the SRX stuff does. Where you can find an SRX-812 for about $1k, it will cost about $1.8k to get a comparable RCF unit at retail costs.

The newer SRX stuff sounds damn good to me. It certainly isn't L'Acoustics, d&b, or RCF grade, but it is not far off. The processing in the speaker gives you no excuse to not get the desired outcome. It has 20 fully parametric filters and I believe you can make any of them you wish an all-pass filter too. It WILL NOT quite et to the stated volume spec they state, but it gets louder than it needs to for any gig that is appropriate to deploy it on. It also sounds really good all the way up to obvious signs of limiting, where it still sounds good while limiting.

If money is no object, then RCF is the next logical step up. If budget prevails, you can get no better than SRX for the $$.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version