ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for experienced opinions on KS118 and SRX818  (Read 10286 times)

Dan Garrett

Looking for experienced opinions on KS118 and SRX818
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »

So my situation is as follows.

I currently have an all QSC system which I use for my band and occasionally for local shows for other bands as well.  I have:
 4 - K12.2 (2 for tops 2 for monitors)
 2 - K10.2 for monitors
 1 - KS118 sub

I want to add another sub.  I did not realize until recently that the K12.2 is not designed to be arrayed and having 2 per side will not really get me more SPL at the back, and can actually cause issues.  All the K12.2 will get moved to monitor duty soon.  I was going to get some KW152 or KW153, but having seen more experienced opinions on multiple sound forum sites I see that I would probably be better served by some SRX835 or SRX815 or SRX812 than by the KW153's at roughly the same price.  That of course got me thinking of the SRX818 subs.  I don't want to go with SRX828's because I don't want to buy a trailer at this time.  My old band had a pair and they are awesome but huge.  I am curious how the SRX818 and KS118 measure up.  Most of the answers I have seen to this question end up referencing the KW181 which is not the same sub.  I'd prefer not to "start over" on the subs if I don't have to. 

Has anyone actually compared the KS118 and the SRX818?

Also, I'm having a hard time deciding between the SRX835/SRX815/SRX812 to place over a single sub per side (at least for now) for rock band reinforcement.

Bob Stone

Re: Looking for experienced opinions on KS118 and SRX818
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 04:20:33 PM »

So my situation is as follows.

I currently have an all QSC system which I use for my band and occasionally for local shows for other bands as well.  I have:
 4 - K12.2 (2 for tops 2 for monitors)
 2 - K10.2 for monitors
 1 - KS118 sub

I want to add another sub.  I did not realize until recently that the K12.2 is not designed to be arrayed and having 2 per side will not really get me more SPL at the back, and can actually cause issues.  All the K12.2 will get moved to monitor duty soon.  I was going to get some KW152 or KW153, but having seen more experienced opinions on multiple sound forum sites I see that I would probably be better served by some SRX835 or SRX815 or SRX812 than by the KW153's at roughly the same price.  That of course got me thinking of the SRX818 subs.  I don't want to go with SRX828's because I don't want to buy a trailer at this time.  My old band had a pair and they are awesome but huge.  I am curious how the SRX818 and KS118 measure up.  Most of the answers I have seen to this question end up referencing the KW181 which is not the same sub.  I'd prefer not to "start over" on the subs if I don't have to. 

Has anyone actually compared the KS118 and the SRX818?

Also, I'm having a hard time deciding between the SRX835/SRX815/SRX812 to place over a single sub per side (at least for now) for rock band reinforcement.

Without direct experience with the KS118 yet, have you considered renting/borrowing some of this equipment to try out? It's not so much which one is better than the other as much as will it do the job? If the KS118's do the job, then maybe it's not worth the cost to switch to all JBL, as you will lose money selling gear you already have to buy something else.

Also in general, a mid-high tier single 18" versus another is a more lateral move than a move up...you're going to pick up fractions, not double the performance.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:06:43 AM »

I think the JBL SRX-800 systems are still the best you can get for the money. They leave you no excuse, that is for sure. I am not a fan of QSC speakers in any series they offer. They work, they make money, but beyond that..... meh at best.

I still think the SRX line is still a step up from ANY offering QSC has right now at the same price point. The KW series is LOOOOOOOOONG in the tooth and even the .2 varient of the K series is just a small step forward for it. No real change that makes it that much better.

The question for you is how important having all QSC is? The K12's work well for monitors, so you can have a total of 6 if you wanted. The one sub could be used for the drums monitoring. Or you can sell it to offset the cost of buying other stuff? Ultimately, you have to pick a budget and place value in what you have vs. what you are willing to afford to replace it. I think going to an SRX rig will get you much further, but it is going to cost you. If it is just a pair of subs, I think the SRX-818 is a very hard speaker to beat and it will work with the K12 tops.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 03:21:01 AM »

I agree with Luke, the SRX boxes are a big step up from all of the QSC options.  If you only have one sub, my .02 is this: don't worry about starting over (it is easy to sell off one sub, or save it for your drum monitor).  Get something scalable that can fit into what you plan to drive.  Single 18's are fine, and you may soon want more.  But you have to double what you have to make a difference, so don't rule out SRX828 if you can find a good way out transporting them; they are a really good value, especially right now.

As far as the tops, keep in mind how you will get them up.  An 835 is 95 lbs... you need two people to lift it, and there is no really good stand option (even though there is a pole cup, I mean that is just silly).  If you plan to do top/pole/sub, go with a smaller option. I would look at the 835 only if I intended to ground stack on a pair of 828 (or single on its side), on sound wings.  Otherwise you will be too low.

If I was buying SRX818, I would pair it with SRX812.  It is powerful and sounds great, and is compact.  You can add subs for bigger shows.  If you grow down the line, SRX812 can be a good monitor or front/side fill.  And, it is a sizable monetary gap to the next step up.

However, I think the real winner is 4xSRX828 and 4xSRX835, if you're looking at JBL.  Then you have a scalable system: one over one, or two over two.  If that fits in the van and you can move it without getting hurt, pull the trigger. If you are a single owner/operator without help for load in/out, get the small stuff.

Of course, if you providing for your band, maybe you already own enough stuff.  What you own already can handle a wedding, small event, or a small club.  Bigger than that and there will often be other sound providers anyway.  Taking the "next step" is bigger than a new set of speakers.  I do believe it is Tim M who has said repeatedly that the next step involves spending 2x what you have invested already, no matter the level you are at.  I have found this to be true, many times over.

Side note: I still have four SRX725, which I have had for many years.  They have been bullet proof, sound good, they get loud.  They have had a good return on investment, and been fun to mix on.  And, they still do the trick for some shows.  The most difficult thing with large speakers is how you deploy them.  Beyond that size, things get a lot more difficult.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers,
Nils

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 09:07:36 AM »

Another vote for the SRX series speakers.
You'll have to spend some money - sure but then you already have decided that you need make some changes to your system anyway and I believe the SRX set up is by far the best value for money system out there right now.
I'd do as has been suggested and re-purpose what you have ( K series for monitors etc) and sell on anything you can't use - then pull the trigger on an SRX set up and be done and be happy!( I LOVE spending other people's money - LOL)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »

Personally i shy away from JBL over service issues I experienced a while back.  Actually experiencing one now.  Not mine but a product I recommended to my community Parks and Rec District.   Ok when it works, when it doesn't you may find yourself in your own.

I'm not a huge fan of the JBL overstated sound thing as well..  To my ear there is a baked in sound I tend to want to get rid of through EQ.   I haven't mixed on the latest generation though so maybe that isn't a thing any more.

I respected co-sound guy I am close to landed some th-mini (th-12? I'm not a Danley guy...)  He is pretty close to over the moon with them.

As far as tops go.  I have 153's over 2 or 4 181's.   It is a pretty healthy rig.  If I were changing things out for another 3 way box, I expect I would end up with the Yamaha DZR 3 way.  I have that box a listen at the last NAMM I attended and it would have to be in the mix for me.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Richard Penrose

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »

I know a few guys who have used the JBL PRX/SRX boxes and had reliability issues and poor service support. I also know a few companies who have been using the KW153/KW181 rigs for years doing several shows a week and have had zero issues with any of them. I have a pair of KW181’s myself and they are solid, reliable and good sounding workhorses.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »

I know a few guys who have used the JBL PRX/SRX boxes and had reliability issues and poor service support. I also know a few companies who have been using the KW153/KW181 rigs for years doing several shows a week and have had zero issues with any of them. I have a pair of KW181’s myself and they are solid, reliable and good sounding workhorses.

I have tons of QSC (well actually it's been slowly trickling away) and have some SRX/STX.  The JBL is a whole step up, especially the STX subs which are basically priced at giveaway right now, however I too had some infant mortality issues on the amp modules on the SRX. 

The QSC stuff has been beaten hard and put up wet and just keeps going.  Even more amazing is we have QSC HPR monitors and they have really done well over the years.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 08:10:43 AM »

You may also want to look at something like the rcf nx32 or nx45 and the 8003 or even 8004 subs. 

I do own srx 835/828 and several rcf products. Unless you are looking at the 835 I’d take the nx32 or nx45 over an srx 812 or 815 without hesitation. 

The srx is a winner in its price point for sure but there is something about the way the rcf boxes project that I prefer. 

The easy solution is add more of what you have.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »

I'm relatively certain that most of the bugs for the JBL SRX line have been worked out by now. I have had great luck with them I suppose. In a total of 9 units that I have either purchased or installed, only one has failed. The one that failed was the hardest working one that existed in a club that had live music 5 nights a week and DJ's the other two. It lasted three years before the amp module said it had enough. It made its ROI for sure.

I too really like the RCF offerings. They do come at a premium though. The literature they have is true and the speaker will do what it says it will do. But comparable speakers cost almost double what the SRX stuff does. Where you can find an SRX-812 for about $1k, it will cost about $1.8k to get a comparable RCF unit at retail costs.

The newer SRX stuff sounds damn good to me. It certainly isn't L'Acoustics, d&b, or RCF grade, but it is not far off. The processing in the speaker gives you no excuse to not get the desired outcome. It has 20 fully parametric filters and I believe you can make any of them you wish an all-pass filter too. It WILL NOT quite et to the stated volume spec they state, but it gets louder than it needs to for any gig that is appropriate to deploy it on. It also sounds really good all the way up to obvious signs of limiting, where it still sounds good while limiting.

If money is no object, then RCF is the next logical step up. If budget prevails, you can get no better than SRX for the $$.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.