ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector Shutter  (Read 3436 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Projector Shutter
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »

Can anyyone recommend an external projector shutter? Honestly doesn't matter if its dmx controlled or just a hardwired contact closure.

I've searched and found some manufacturers-but few dealers.
Steve Swaffer

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Projector Shutter
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 12:01:39 AM »

Can anyyone recommend an external projector shutter? Honestly doesn't matter if its dmx controlled or just a hardwired contact closure.

Are you interested in a DIY project? 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 12:26:45 PM »

Are you interested in a DIY project?

Sure..
Steve Swaffer

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »

NorthlightDMX has one:
http://northlightdmx.com/DMX512_Dowser.htm

I once made a couple out of tray type computer CD drives. Take everything out of the drive enclosure except the motor and tray. Secure cardboard or black wrap in the tray.
The motor is usually 12VDC, so find a wall wart of sufficient rating and hook up to the motor with a DPDT center off switch (basically reversing polarity to the motor so you can apply power to move the tray in and out). Mount CD drive in front of projector lens. Done.
Scott Hofmann

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 12:39:39 PM »

NorthlightDMX has one:
http://northlightdmx.com/DMX512_Dowser.htm

I once made a couple out of tray type computer CD drives. Take everything out of the drive enclosure except the motor and tray. Secure cardboard or black wrap in the tray.
The motor is usually 12VDC, so find a wall wart of sufficient rating and hook up to the motor with a DPDT center off switch (basically reversing polarity to the motor so you can apply power to move the tray in and out). Mount CD drive in front of projector lens. Done.

I elected to go with the Northlight dowser since this is fairly visible in my situation and it just appeared nicer.  I have used Northlight products in the past and have been pleased-but I can't recommend this one.  They say in the manual that it is somewhat noisy and chatters-but that that is the fault of the servo and nothing can be done.  I found out that the chatter makes it really unusable in my case-so I did some bench testing with a servo and servo tester I had on hand.  Both servos are smooth as silk on the tester and both servos chatter on the Northlight control so blaming the servo is silly.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 04:21:02 PM »

I elected to go with the Northlight dowser since this is fairly visible in my situation and it just appeared nicer.  I have used Northlight products in the past and have been pleased-but I can't recommend this one.  They say in the manual that it is somewhat noisy and chatters-but that that is the fault of the servo and nothing can be done.  I found out that the chatter makes it really unusable in my case-so I did some bench testing with a servo and servo tester I had on hand.  Both servos are smooth as silk on the tester and both servos chatter on the Northlight control so blaming the servo is silly.
If you haven't already, I would relay the results of your experiment to James Cart at Northlight. He is really interested in customer feedback and I'm sure you will hear back from him.
Scott Hofmann

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »

I will send an e-mail.  Given the disclaimer in the manual, I assumed-perhaps wrongly-they were not interested in hearing of any issues with the product.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.