ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Iím painting my Subwoofers white  (Read 1619 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Iím painting my Subwoofers white
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 10:39:17 am »

Suggestions?   Iím pretty green at this

Clean, dust free surface that the paint will stick to.  Depending on the finish that is on them now it may require sanding off the existing paint or at least the existing outer layer.  If you donít go down to bare wood then after throughly cleaning and degreasing the surface do a test on one side just to see how adhesion and coverage goes.  You donít want to jump in and paint them all just to later find out you have to sand it back and start over.

Vacuum dust.  Donít blow it off with an air compressor.  You want to remove it from the environment not put it into the air so it falls back down on freshly painted surfaces.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 10:41:21 am »

^^^ What Erik said.

I would probably prime them with compatible primer to whatever topcoat you choose when going to a white final color.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:45:12 am by Steve-White »

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 10:42:26 am »

Goes without saying, but I'd take everything out of the subs before sanding/painting. No matter how well you mask off stuff, dust will get everywhere...

on the grills look for powder coating companies that do auto parts - will last a lot longer than paint.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 01:37:26 pm »

Goes without saying, but I'd take everything out of the subs before sanding/painting. No matter how well you mask off stuff, dust will get everywhere...

on the grills look for powder coating companies that do auto parts - will last a lot longer than paint.

What should I expect to pay for powder coat?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 02:39:47 pm »

It's been too long since I powder coated rims for my 67 Lemans (2009) and will also depend where you are, etc. I'd call around and ask.

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 05:45:50 pm »

Iíve got some old ugly YorkvilleĎs that I got used and I need repaint them for an upcoming installation. I want them wait, what kind of paint do you guys recommend? I know thereís that truck bed liner stuff that everyone loves for black, but thatís no good for this.

Hi Dave,
Last year we installed 4 SRX 712 tops and 2 SRX718 subs. We took them out of our stock, cleaned them with a water based degreaser and painted them white using spray Rustoleum for the grills and metal parts and roll-on for the boxes.
They have held up really well but the tops are flown and the subs only get moved occasionally.
If you need something way more durable then look at 2 part epoxy type paints. (sorry for the low quality photo)
We painted over the factory JBL coating, no need to take that off.
Don

Kent Clasen

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 06:16:00 pm »

I think I'd try Duratex white. 
Duratex is good paint.  The black can slightly grey over time, and kinda sticks boxes together when stacked and stored. But short of commercial grade stuff, good epoxy, Line-X etc, it's a good budget type choice (in my limited experience).
All that said, I've never used white.

I am in the process of refurbing and painting a bunch of vintage Meyer speakers [UPA1C, USW1, UM1] with the black Duratex. The first speakers I used their foam rollers but I just bought a hopper paint gun to do the rest. I havenít gotten them all prepped yet so canít comment on the air gun. Acrytech was very helpful with any questions and gave me suggestions. It seems pretty durable once cured and looks good. I used their wood filler and just primed those patches. New foam grilles, logos etc. These old speakers still sound very good with the analog processors I found on eBay [yes I am nuts but it is fun].

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 09:03:53 pm »

I am in the process of refurbing and painting a bunch of vintage Meyer speakers [UPA1C, USW1, UM1] {...}

Are you replacing the grill cloth, too?

-Russ

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 09:24:25 pm »

Dave, hands down Powder Coat is superior to any roll-on, brush-on, spray-on product.  I considered having the wheels on my jeep powder coated.  Decided to sand blast myself and hammer finish black rustoleum with some satin clear urethane over that and then into the oven a couple of hours.  They look great and are holding up very well over the past 6 months.

If the grills are in a high traffic area such as a dance floor or other high traffic area you may want to consider power coating them.  For anything less in terms of use, powder coating is probably not cost effective and isn't necessary - especially if they are to be flown or in an area where they won't get kicked.

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 11:10:29 pm »

If this is something you expect to do more than once and parts are relatively small - look into buying an old oven from Craigslist and wire up a 240V circuit in the garage.  It's not too bad for cost then, and you'll suddenly notice a whole ton of stuff that can now have a durable finish in (insert your company color here) color!
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 11:10:29 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.