ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Levels on Powered Speakers  (Read 2753 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Setting Levels on Powered Speakers
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »

I am a guitar player that happens to own a bunch of gear for our band.  We just set the rehearsal space up last night to get ready for summer!  I run two or four QSC KW181's and two KW153's for mains.  I've often wondered if there is a correct way to set the levels on the subs and mains.  Should they be set at the same levels, unity for both, both at 2 o'clock?  Set the subs up in deep mode?  Subs at 3 o'clock and mains at 1 o'clock?  Use the EQ on the board (Midas M32R) to bump the subs, especially outdoors.  We do not use aux fed subs.  I'm more interested the physical setting of the levels are set.  I have heard the some guys set the tops, go out front and have another guy turn up the subs and get them close, then do the rest on the board?  I get great results and have done it a few different ways, just wondering if there is a correct method into dialing the levels on the subs and mains?  TIA to the pro's out there!  I very much appreciate what you do!

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Setting Levels on Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 09:40:49 AM »

I am a guitar player that happens to own a bunch of gear for our band.  We just set the rehearsal space up last night to get ready for summer!  I run two or four QSC KW181's and two KW153's for mains.  I've often wondered if there is a correct way to set the levels on the subs and mains.  Should they be set at the same levels, unity for both, both at 2 o'clock?  Set the subs up in deep mode?  Subs at 3 o'clock and mains at 1 o'clock?  Use the EQ on the board (Midas M32R) to bump the subs, especially outdoors.  We do not use aux fed subs.  I'm more interested the physical setting of the levels are set.  I have heard the some guys set the tops, go out front and have another guy turn up the subs and get them close, then do the rest on the board?  I get great results and have done it a few different ways, just wondering if there is a correct method into dialing the levels on the subs and mains?  TIA to the pro's out there!  I very much appreciate what you do!

I generally don’t use powered speakers. When I setup a sound system either portable or an install I always set the power amps controls full up. I deal with setting the levels I need on the speakers in the DSP or on the Matrix sends on the mixer. The systems I am dealing with are dead quiet with no signal going thru them even with the amps full up. One of the main reasons I do this is so no one can come along and change the amps and increase the output and mess things up. They can only turn them down from where they are set, not up.

I would suggest that you use the Matrix outputs on the Midas M32r this gives you an output trim control. Then you can run the inputs on the mixer hotter without having to turn your input gains down below where it is really best to run them.

I am sorry this may not really answer your question except if the control on the speaker is basically the same as it is on a power amp in my situation I would turn them all the way up. For the reasons and using the routing stated above.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:55:57 AM »

There is pretty much no right or wrong way to set the gains on powered speakers but in most cases setting them all at unity produces full output when the mixer hits +4dbu. If you want a bit more sub or a bit less top there is nothing wrong with turing one up or down a bit.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »

You'll probably need the subs turned up quite bit higher than the tops - especially when only using 1 sub/top per side. When I use one sub per side (using comparable cabs to yours), I tend to have the subs set at full and the tops around 12 O'clock  (depending on tops/subs used and type of music etc).
As you mentioned, setting the tops and adjusting the subs to taste is a good way to get a good bass line and then tweak - its all down to your ears.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:04:44 PM »

I run the same rig as my 'middle' system.  2 153 over 4 181.   Inside I might go 153 over 181.

I start with the gains at about 2:00 clock dial on the subs.  153's at noon.

Then I run program material I am very familiar with and listen and wander and listen more.

I tweak based on what I hear.

153's can have a pretty aggressive mid so I may apply some EQ to pull that down.  One of my guys used to swear that rig sounded better with the 153's in full range ...  We never worked that rig on a show together.  I ran the 153's in the EXT Sub position and worked with that.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 08:08:37 AM »

Interesting on how we all do things a bit different!  I also find that I run the subs usually hotter.  Our band also has keyboards and I find that he will hit low notes that I like to punch much like a kick.  Not sure about running the 153's at full range.  Reproducing those lows may cause phasing issues?

I find the term "Unity" gain to be confusing?  Is the Gain control linear in nature?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »

Not sure about running the 153's at full range.  Reproducing those lows may cause phasing issues?
Possible yes, but one of the main reasons to add subs to a system it to take the low frequency load away from the tops, this gives them more headroom and will clean up the low/mid range

I find the term "Unity" gain to be confusing?  Is the Gain control linear in nature?
Not usually it's logarithmic. An amplifier circuit can be designed in several ways, it can have a fixed gain such as when used in a preamp circuit, it can have no gain when it's just used as a buffer, or it can have variable gain when it is used as a gain control stage. In the last example  the amp can both attenuate or boost the signal depending where the gain control is set, and there is also a neutral setting where it's doing neither.. the signal that goes in comes out at the same level, that is unity(1:1) gain.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »

There is pretty much no right or wrong way to set the gains on powered speakers

Oh, believe me, there are plenty of WRONG ways to do it.

Of course, there's no consensus on what the 'right' way is.  Each can use slightly different methods to get where they want to be.

The key factor is, have the gains turned up enough so that the signal that you are sending to the speaker can get loud enough without clipping the signal going into it. If turning the gain on the speaker up to maximum creates noise in the speaker, then turning it down might be necessary, otherwise, where you adjust the signal gain in the path doesn't matter too much these days.

My general personal preference is to plan for a strong signal (with enough headroom planned in) as far as I can get it.  This means using the final gain stage of the speaker or amp as the final level setting. If I don't need the full capacity of the system available to me, that's where I would turn it down.
Brian Jojade

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »

Oh, believe me, there are plenty of WRONG ways to do it.
LOL... No way it should be that hard but every time somebody makes something more idiot proof somebody else invents a better idiot.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »

I personally like to set my speaker gains such that when my mixer is mid to low yellow band, my speakers are just starting to flicker the limit lights.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.