ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The latest consumer crisis...  (Read 7011 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: The latest consumer crisis...
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 10:44:54 PM »

Surely you forgot the "sarcasm" tag.

Ah, for the Ye Olde Dayz, when the dripping sarcasm font actually dripped...

And a Nubian goat had his own advice column.  Those were the days...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 10:50:50 PM »

Ah, for the Ye Olde Dayz, when the dripping sarcasm font actually dripped...

And a Nubian goat had his own advice column.  Those were the days...

Damn right.  And I miss that old goat. We got our 15 minutes, though.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 07:52:43 AM »

Damn right.  And I miss that old goat. We got our 15 minutes, though.
And then some... 8)
Abdul, Andy, Bink, Turbo, Dave and the Anvil of Reality.
All very good thoughts, and sorely missed.
Chris.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:26:45 AM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 08:33:35 AM »

Last week at a youth meeting, one of our speakers made fun of the stereotypical way he handled his very first solo pastoral hospital visit.  It won the kids over to him immediately.  We all have our quirks-that's what makes life interesting.  I have a room set up for electronics tinkering-my boys call it my "nerd room".  Should I be offended?

It's absolutely OK to make fun of yourself.  Making fun of other people is where one needs to be very careful.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »

In an effort to shock this thread back on track, it looks like the next shortage will be...pool chlorine. 

Between an uptick in sales, and a fire at a plant in Louisiana after Hurricane Laura in August, there's not as much to go around and a higher price because of it. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/05/01/chlorine-is-the-latest-shortage-how-this-will-affect-swimming-pools-hot-tubs/

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »

Is this really needed? Up until now this thread has been full of jokes that we can all laugh about together (or groan, in the case of Scott Holtzman's brutal one-liner that I'm definitely going to borrow).

Why post a joke that divides the group into "people who are the butt of the joke" and "everyone else"? Isn't it better when we can all laugh together?

-Russ

Don't worry, there probably aren't many millenials reading this

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 01:58:44 PM »

It's absolutely OK to make fun of yourself.  Making fun of other people is where one needs to be very careful.

Thanks, Scott. Glad it's not just me.

Surely you forgot the "sarcasm" tag.

I'm not sure how widely-known the history of "millenials and their avocado toast" is, so, for the uninitiated:

For the first time in recent US history, millenials are less likely than previous generations to own their own homes. While there is no one explanation for this phenomenon, the biggest single factor is almost certainly financial. House prices have increase substantially faster than the wages needed to pay for a mortgage (between 1984 and 2004 the median house price in the US nearly tripled, while the median household income didn't quite double). Add to this the greatly-increased costs of early-adulthood education (so a lot of millennials enter the workforce with significant debt, let alone a down-payment) and the general decline in job security (making a mortgage harder to qualifier) and it starts to become clear why home-ownership may not be possible for millennials in the same way it was for their parents.

Of course, math doesn't typically sell ads very well, so somewhere along the way some commentators decided that the real reason millennials couldn't afford to buy houses was because we are somehow exceptionally bad at managing our money. Despite this assertion having no basis in fact, "financially imprudent" is a much easier explanation to understand than "economically disadvantaged" (especially in a country that bills itself on its supposedly-unrivalled economic advantages). It also absolves the reader of any implied responsibility for finding a solution ("it isn't our economy causing this problem, it's their spending habits"). Thus "avocado toast" (a dish that, as Tim mentioned, existed long before millennials were eating it) became the code word for "a generation of people who are so financially reckless that they're wasting the American Dream on overpriced consumables".

Needless to say, for those of us striving to achieve what our parents had (but without the same balance of resources), comments about "avocado toast" can come as a real slap in the face, literally adding insult to injury. I'm more than happy to make jokes at my own expense; what I don't much care for are insults, even ones that are oblique and "just a joke".

Don't worry, there probably aren't many millenials reading this

I used to take this approach, too. Over time I came to realize that "not many" is never "none", and that it's really easy for me to hurt people without intending to. I also realized that part of the reason there "aren't many" {insert name of group here} in my circles is because I was acting as though they weren't there.

Every so often someone in the Basement mentions their desire to increase the diversity of talent in our industry. In my mind, part of the path to that goal is acting with decency even towards the people we think aren't within earshot.

-Russ

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 09:03:42 AM »

I used to take this approach, too. Over time I came to realize that "not many" is never "none", and that it's really easy for me to hurt people without intending to. I also realized that part of the reason there "aren't many" {insert name of group here} in my circles is because I was acting as though they weren't there.

Every so often someone in the Basement mentions their desire to increase the diversity of talent in our industry. In my mind, part of the path to that goal is acting with decency even towards the people we think aren't within earshot.

-Russ

I was born in 79, so the joke halfway applies to me, lol

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »

Some Avocado Science:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/how-marketing-changed-the-way-we-see-avocados/

And someone's POV on this "issue". 

TRIGGER WARNING
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/millennials-avocados

"Avocado in 15 languages".  That is impressive, but the author DISPARAGED ALL OF CANADA by declaring the pronunciation in "Canadian" as "eh-vocado". 

Now what?

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »

Some Avocado Science:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/how-marketing-changed-the-way-we-see-avocados/

And someone's POV on this "issue". 

TRIGGER WARNING
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/millennials-avocados

"Avocado in 15 languages".  That is impressive, but the author DISPARAGED ALL OF CANADA by declaring the pronunciation in "Canadian" as "eh-vocado". 

Now what?

You could write that same article on how marketing changed a ton of things.. bacon, mouthwash, milk, beef, etc.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.