ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital mixers firmware increased channel count?  (Read 2190 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Digital mixers firmware increased channel count?
« on: April 29, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »

What digital mixers have increased their channel count capabilities with firmware alone? I am not referring to the hardware necessary to add more preamps. The one I am aware of is the Avid SC48 it went from 48 channels to 64 channels with just a firmware update. Are there any other ones that come to mind? 

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Digital mixers firmware increased channel count?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »

What digital mixers have increased their channel count capabilities with firmware alone? I am not referring to the hardware necessary to add more preamps. The one I am aware of is the Avid SC48 it went from 48 channels to 64 channels with just a firmware update. Are there any other ones that come to mind?

Digico SD series.  The major one was the Core 1 to Core 2 jump, but there have been others (SD12 to SD12-96 for example).  And it wasn't just input channels, it was also Matrix size, aux/bus count, channel processing capabilities, number of FX slots, and control group counts.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 10:28:16 AM »

Digico SD series.  The major one was the Core 1 to Core 2 jump, but there have been others (SD12 to SD12-96 for example).  And it wasn't just input channels, it was also Matrix size, aux/bus count, channel processing capabilities, number of FX slots, and control group counts.

No hardware involved in that move from the Core 1 to the Core 2?

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »

It's only software upgrade, no hardware upgrade. But the Core2 upgrade is not free, or cheap.

Chip Sciacca

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:47:42 AM »

Hi Kevin
 no hardware changes needed to upgrade the DiGiCos from Core1 to Core 2.  The original SD9 shipped as a 48 x 16 console with 8 dynamic EQs, 8 Multiband Compressors and 8 Tube emulators and 8 FX and now through only software updates it is currently a 96 x 48 with 155 DYN Eqs, 155 Multiband Comps, 155 Tube emulators and 12 FX units making the return on investment great for the purchaser.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:51:27 AM by Chip Sciacca »
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »

It's only software upgrade, no hardware upgrade. But the Core2 upgrade is not free, or cheap.

I’d argue that considering the value added it’s quite cheap compared to the alternative of buying a larger desk.  The SD8 going from 60 to 120 channels was huge and well worth the cost.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »

I’d argue that considering the value added it’s quite cheap compared to the alternative of buying a larger desk.  The SD8 going from 60 to 120 channels was huge and well worth the cost.

I agree, so we don't need to argue :) I just didn't edit my post to clarify after I posted, your answer was sort of awaited. My reference for what I said was a "normal" FW/version upgrade of any kind, which most often are free.

Keith Erickson

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »

Soundcraft Si Impact went from 32+4 stereo to 64+8 stereo with the V2 update...free of charge.  32x16 on the back and 2 card slots (64x64 & 64x32) for stage boxes or other I/O

Lots of desk for around $2500 MAP

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »

Related but I understand this is not an answer the original question...

I much prefer console designs that use a DSP with full capabilities and then you can choose the size of control console you like. (dLive, Rivage), rather than having to live with the console size you picked based on channel count.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 03:04:45 AM »

The Yamaha Rivage PM7 went from 120 to 144 channels in december with firmware 4.7
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 03:04:45 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.