ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best stage monitor in 2021?  (Read 11866 times)

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
Re: Best stage monitor in 2021?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »

We've got a demo of JBL VTX M20 on the way. Going to be comparing to Meyer MJF-210 as they are a similar type box. Will report back on our findings.
Kristian Stevenson

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2021, 05:52:42 PM »

Looking to upgrade our stage monitors. What is everyone favourite 12” or 15”.  D&B M4 / M6, L-Acoustics 112/115XT or the X15HiQ, Nexo’s new P15, Adamson M12 / M15 etc.

Rider acceptance is important as well as performance – gain before feedback, SPL … weight and form factor are also important. 

We have quite a bit of Adamson gear already; particularly interested in what people think of the M12 & M15

Thx – Peter

I got some quality time with EV XW-15 at Infocomm some years back. I think it was the first FIR preset, not sure what the DSP was.  Big demo room, up the escalator at the end of displays in LV IIRC.

Long story short we did the "how loud will it get before feedback without EQ", and it was impressive.   Microphone was EV but I don't remember which model.  Ultimately it was "very loud" and I could point the mic directly at the loudspeaker and it remained stable.

XW-15 had always been a good value price/performance/acceptability.   
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Peter Morris

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »

We've got a demo of JBL VTX M20 on the way. Going to be comparing to Meyer MJF-210 as they are a similar type box. Will report back on our findings.

Love to know how these perform - they have used some FIR filters to flatten the phase response. That should improve their clarity and make it easier for you to hear your voice amongst all the stage noise (music), the cost is 3.33 ms of latency.

I suspect there is a balance between acceptable latency and added clarity, and what they have done is an improvement (?).

Peter Morris

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »

I got some quality time with EV XW-15 at Infocomm some years back. I think it was the first FIR preset, not sure what the DSP was.  Big demo room, up the escalator at the end of displays in LV IIRC.

Long story short we did the "how loud will it get before feedback without EQ", and it was impressive.   Microphone was EV but I don't remember which model.  Ultimately it was "very loud" and I could point the mic directly at the loudspeaker and it remained stable.

Those were great, not sure if the replacement is the MFX-15MC (?) but I have not hear anything about these.  Inside they look like they use the "standard" coaxial driver configuration like the M4's, Nexo P15, Clair 1AM etc.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2021, 08:07:45 PM »

We still have 16 XW-15a (well, new drivers in the old box).  Great acceptance from those who do not require the latest French or German wedges.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »

We still have 16 XW-15a (well, new drivers in the old box).  Great acceptance from those who do not require the latest French or German wedges.

And there is the problem ... the wedges we have are fine, they more or less have the same driver as the German model, but the wrong badge, and it causes us problems.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:21:57 AM by Peter Morris »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »

and it causes us problems.

Less and less is the industry about providing knowledge and results. More and more it is about willingness to absorb cost brutalization.

I always look at these decisions through an ongoing-enterprise lens. IMO wedges do not make the phone ring! For a business planning growth, 24 matched really good wedges beat 16 "dream" wedges. MSI's proprietary coax, and the Firehouse F15 are still reliable money-earners here in USA, except for top-tier tourers...who you probably aren't doing. (I could be wrong, Peter).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 11:50:41 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »

And there is the problem ... the wedges we have are fine, they more or less have the same driver as the German model, but the wrong badge, and it causes us problems.

For a regional provider in a 3rd tier city, these demands for the latest and greatest (or at least latest) are irrational.  If the show cannot be done - in any way, shape or form - without these items, then the artist needs to carry them (unless they are only playing the top 25 cities in the USA).

I've got one such event coming up, where the console and extensive (and brand/model exclusive) IEM package is worth more than the rest of the audio package.  The good news is the client is 100% understanding that they signed a contract with the artist that did not specifically include these in the rider, and how they'll recover the additional 5-figure rental is not my problem.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2021, 02:35:43 PM »

I assume you were using them as a vocal wedge with the 60 x 60 degree horn?

I was in that venue today and had a look at the amp, it's loaded with the 60x60 preset.
IDK what horn is in the boxes, but it looked like it had four equal sides so I'm guessing  they are 60x60.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »

Not necessarily.

Take a look at the RCF HF series of horns. All square and rotatable, but some very different dispersion angles.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.