ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best stage monitor in 2021?  (Read 11872 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Best stage monitor in 2021?
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2021, 05:31:21 PM »

I was in that venue today and had a look at the amp, it's loaded with the 60x60 preset.
IDK what horn is in the boxes, but it looked like it had four equal sides so I'm guessing  they are 60x60.

Hi Helge,

It would most likely be the 60 x 60, but the horn flare is not changed out to change the pattern, an inserted is added to the 60 x 60 flare to produce the other two patterns.

Thanks for checking  :)

Peter Morris

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »

For a regional provider in a 3rd tier city, these demands for the latest and greatest (or at least latest) are irrational.  If the show cannot be done - in any way, shape or form - without these items, then the artist needs to carry them (unless they are only playing the top 25 cities in the USA).

I've got one such event coming up, where the console and extensive (and brand/model exclusive) IEM package is worth more than the rest of the audio package.  The good news is the client is 100% understanding that they signed a contract with the artist that did not specifically include these in the rider, and how they'll recover the additional 5-figure rental is not my problem.

Yeah but ... I'm not a regional provider in a 3rd tier city. I'm not even in the USA ... lol  :)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »

Yeah but ... I'm not a regional provider in a 3rd tier city. I'm not even in the USA ... lol  :)

Yes, I know.  Just stating the situation.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2021, 12:47:18 AM »

Yes, I know.  Just stating the situation.

The sad thing about it ... even if I supplied the German or French boxes but with a different name on them; many would not like them and blame their poor mixing skills on the box.  If you provide "the name gear", they don't have an excuse.  Its just easier.

I also have to say both of these speakers are excellent.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:23:37 AM by Peter Morris »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2021, 08:43:35 AM »

The sad thing about it ... even if I supplied the German or French boxes but with a different name on them; many would not like them and blame their poor mixing skills on the box.

This smacks of abuse victims blaming themselves Peter. Any act's bad monitor mixer hire shouldn't affect you. I'm old enough to remember the "Friends don't let friend's mix monitors" Guns and Roses "meme".

Today's "halo" best monitors do not continue to make the phone ring over time, nor do they make up for bonehead mixing. You are there  provide the best combination of date-available gear+personnel v. cost on a given showday - as decided by upstream show management....at a profit. Don't take shit. Fear/fantasy are exploitation levers. Understand your company's value.  Your audio career will likely exceed theirs.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:48:52 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Peter Morris

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »

This smacks of abuse victims blaming themselves Peter. Any act's bad monitor mixer hire shouldn't affect you. I'm old enough to remember the "Friends don't let friend's mix monitors" Guns and Roses "meme".

Today's "halo" best monitors do not continue to make the phone ring over time, nor do they make up for bonehead mixing. You are there  provide the best combination of date-available gear+personnel v. cost on a given showday - as decided by upstream show management....at a profit. Don't take shit. Fear/fantasy are exploitation levers. Understand your company's value.  Your audio career will likely exceed theirs.

Hi Jim, 

I do understand these implications - we do have a reasonable size name band line array, and it does make the phone ring but our monitors don't match and its a bit of an issue. I believe I can improve our market position with some monitors with better rider acceptance.  I was not happy when we tested the monitors that matched our line array (still trying to sort this out), so I'm looking at other options - hence the post.

There are several new offering from L-Acoustics, Nexo, Martin, Clair etc. While I'm very familiar with the old models,  I have not heard or used any of these new models. Last week I flew the equivalent of half way across the USA to listen to the new L-Accoustic offerings, they were fantastic, I also had an opportunity to check out Clair's 1AMs which I though were even better for monitor applications but not as flexible for other applications.   I was hoping to make a similar trip this week check out Nexo, but a COVID out break has stopped that for the moment.

I really appreciate everyone's input so far, it is very helpful and I'm still interested hearing more  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:09:18 PM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.