ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best stage monitor in 2021?  (Read 5817 times)

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
Re: Best stage monitor in 2021?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 03:58:45 am »

M4 and M6 are great... powerful, great sounding, plus brackets and pole mounts allow them to do double duty for fill speakers or high quality sound on a stick.

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 04:21:18 am »

Has anybody heard or used the new Nexo P15?  They look interesting with fly and pole mount options, as well as an option for different pattern horns that can be changed quite quickly.

The other one I have heard good things about is the Adamson M12 & M15, having very high gain before feedback as a result of the Kevlar cones, but I have never heard or used one.  There are mixed reports on the LAB but that was quite some time ago and I suspect things have changed (?).

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 05:55:17 am »

Has anybody heard or used the new Nexo P15?  They look interesting with fly and pole mount options, as well as an option for different pattern horns that can be changed quite quickly.

Yes, I've used them for a lot of streaming gigs. Didn't impress in terms of sound quality.
Got the shows done, nothing was loud enough to cause feedback issues.
One of the speakon connector sets is located inside a handle, a real PITA to get the connector out if you have big hands. I found it easier to pick the cabinet up and rotate it in the air to gain access to the connector, not something I wish to do for a fast changeover.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 07:36:52 pm »

The EAWs were great and I suspect the new Fulcrum will be even better, but not a lot of rider traction  :-\

https://youtu.be/wI_3WYHS71c

The Fulcrum FW15 were made at our request and we have 12 of them.  We use them on fairly serious festival stages and have never had any issues.  In our world, basically anyone who really cares is carrying.  The exception might be Newport Folk, who tends to get some bands on fly dates.  We'll see if there's any pushback this year but thus far it hasn't been an issue.

Fyi, the cardioid helps a little in keeping each musician in their monitoring pocket, but where we really find the difference is in the house.  There's significantly less low end coming off the back of the wedges into the house.

That said, I totally get the rider game.  I prefer D&B to L-Acoustics (we're L-A dealers, too).  The X15 on demo seemed to be a bit beamy and have a narrow sweet spot.  Martin LE wedges are great and though I haven't used them I can't imagine the XE series being anything other than fantastic.

I was not a fan of the Meyer MJF double 10" voicing.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 08:00:37 pm »

I have gotten to use the d&b M4 a bit as well as L'A X15's and 12's. I prefer the M4's myself. They pull double duty, sound good, and are plenty loud. if you can't make them work, well, I can't imagine anything else will get you much further.

I myself own an octet of RCF NX12SMA's for my personal system. I was shocked to have a rider come across my desk with those being specifically asked for! I didn't get the gig but thought it odd that they were a specific request. I tend to like buying less than standard monitor options it seems? My Renkus Heinz CFX121M's always got strange looks from bands, but they did great for me. Best I could get for the money at the time.

I do like working with L'A and d&b though!!! Just so EASY!!!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 09:54:09 pm »

I myself own an octet of RCF NX12SMA's for my personal system. I was shocked to have a rider come across my desk with those being specifically asked for! I didn't get the gig but thought it odd that they were a specific request. I tend to like buying less than standard monitor options it seems?

I’ve got 24 of the NX12SMA - they punch well over their weight, and while not ‘rider friendly’ I’ve had many say they were going to add them to their acceptable list after using them. They’ve also been great for us as a phenomenal room fill / SOS for speech applications as long as you don’t mind the connectors on the top of the box.

Kemper Watson

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 10:03:36 pm »

I’ve got 24 of the NX12SMA - they punch well over their weight, and while not ‘rider friendly’ I’ve had many say they were going to add them to their acceptable list after using them. They’ve also been great for us as a phenomenal room fill / SOS for speech applications as long as you don’t mind the connectors on the top of the box.

I love these wedges. 8 now with plans for 10-12. But I also have a couple of TT25CXA.

Peter Morris

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 07:17:29 am »

The NX12SMA's are excellent, but I'm looking for something more like the TT25CXA, which BTW are up there with the best ... but I also want good rider acceptance.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 01:32:25 pm »

I own TT25cxa. They are nice, but really think they sound better as fronts/sidefills with subs (8004) than as monitors. Haven't had many complaints though. They cut through the stagenoise like a hot knife in butter. They fall of rather fast below 80Hz. Max15 or m4 sounds better, and arguably easier to work with. With admittedly limited experience, i don't care for l'a x15 or especially x12 (or max12).

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 01:37:13 pm »

I use both the NX12SMA and the 10".  Very similar sound.  They both have the same profile, so look appropriate together on stage.
My really good fingerstyle player friend actually prefers the 10.
I had a really nice custom road case made by SpaceCase in Sacto, CA to carry 4 of the 12s, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 02:53:45 pm by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 01:37:13 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.