ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight active 12 subs. FBT Subline 112sa vs RCF 702asII or other?  (Read 5113 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

I tried the RCF HD10a + 702asII subs system in a couple of different venues this weekend. The first gig was an old church building running piano, Hammond, bass and multiple voices through the system. For this event, the system worked great. The bass player had a pretty high end 5 string bass and the tone sounded wonderful. The 702s filled the venue with sound right to the very back and the keys and vocals had a great natural sound with great clarity.
The second gig was in a pretty dead sounding marquee. There was about 150 there and there was a fully miked band (drums, bass, guitar, keys, vocals) plus a dj running through the system. The system sounded good on the dance floor but the subs tailed off quite quickly when stood around 6-7 meters away. The clip light was coming on quite a lot. This is the first time I felt like I could have done with a little more. My old DXR15s and QSC KW181s would have completely filled the marquee with plenty to spare! However, the load in and out was so easy due to the size and weight of this system.
The new mk3 702 subs have a different limiting Bass Motion circuit which doesnt roll off the lows like in the mk2s which according to RCF allow for greater depth of bass and increased headroom at higher levels. How this translates into real performance is remains to be heard and Im wondering if anyone can comment on this?
If there isnt any real difference in actual performance Im thinking the 905as mk3 subs would be the next step up whilst keeping the weight down at 26kg?

We pulled the trigger and are updating the last of our QSC's The small system is DZR10's over DXS15XLF's the rest are DZR12 over DXS18XLF's, DZR315 (can't wait to hear that) and our existing DSR112 now over DXS18XLF's.  The lighter system will be nice but the decision was mostly driven by depreciation the QSC gear is still in great shape
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard Penrose

We pulled the trigger and are updating the last of our QSC's The small system is DZR10's over DXS15XLF's the rest are DZR12 over DXS18XLF's, DZR315 (can't wait to hear that) and our existing DSR112 now over DXS18XLF's.  The lighter system will be nice but the decision was mostly driven by depreciation the QSC gear is still in great shape

I have no doubt the Yamahas would be a big step up from the mini RCF system but unfortunately its much heavier than I want to go.
I think the next step up in subs whilst remaining reasonably lightweight is the RCF 905as mk3. Regarding tops, the RCF 932 would be a good option but these are heavier and bigger than I would like. The other smaller 10 RCF options only have a handle on the top.

Are there any other options out there?

John Schalk

The new mk3 702 subs have a different limiting Bass Motion circuit which doesnt roll off the lows like in the mk2s which according to RCF allow for greater depth of bass and increased headroom at higher levels. How this translates into real performance is remains to be heard and Im wondering if anyone can comment on this?
If there isnt any real difference in actual performance Im thinking the 905as mk3 subs would be the next step up whilst keeping the weight down at 26kg?
From just looking at the specs for the 705 & 905, the 905 (57lbs) is listed as being 9 lbs lighter than the 705(66lbs).  That is odd because the boxes are the same size and the ad copy for the 905 says that its driver uses a ceramic magnet.  The 905 is built from plywood, while the 705's box is listed as "all wood", so maybe the 700 series is built from MDF?  The other key difference (besides price!) between these two subs is in the power section.  The 905 uses an 1,100 watt RMS amp module versus a 700 watt power amp for the 700 series subs.  The 905 is 10 lbs heavier than the super light 702, but if you think you can handle moving a ~60lb box, then the 905 looks like the best oomf to weight ratio sub in RCF's current lineup.  Another option would be to double up on the 702s when you need extra thump.   

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.