ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Genie lift service?  (Read 2941 times)

Scott Helmke

Genie lift service?
« on: April 26, 2021, 04:21:15 PM »

Does anybody here have significant experience servicing Genie ST lifts?  In particular the winch brake mechanism.  Trying to figure out if it makes sense to do repairs in-house or keep farming them out to a lift company.

I'd be fine with a private discussion if you don't want to publish anything that might cause worry about liability. 

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Genie lift service?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:55:57 PM »

Anything to do with overhead lifting devices be they motors or lifts always come down to LIABILITY for me. As a result I always let someone else do the work that has some sort of imprimatur for the doing the job and the insurance to match.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »

Does anybody here have significant experience servicing Genie ST lifts?  In particular the winch brake mechanism.  Trying to figure out if it makes sense to do repairs in-house or keep farming them out to a lift company.

I'd be fine with a private discussion if you don't want to publish anything that might cause worry about liability.

We use our local Genie sales/service/rental shop for anything other than replacing casters.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »

Our "local" shop is about an hour away.  Which isn't terrible. 

What I'm thinking about is the possible benefit of having better maintained lifts than the usual "every year at best" sort of approach.  Just being able to gauge wear on the lifts would be worth a fair bit to me.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »

We took a pair of 5 year old Sumner Eventer 20s to the nearest service center. One was having break clutch issues (wouldn't release) and the other was working properly, so we figured we would get the clutch replaced and have them both inspected, re-lubed, etc.

The service center told us that both units had bent masts, were a "total loss" and quoted a repair price that was greater than buying new. We had to either pay to get them repaired, pay to have them re-assembled or pay a diagnostic fee and come grab the pile of parts they were now in since they had been disassembled.

We were always very careful to use these lifts within their means, never cross rented or used without our techs involved and they were regularly inspected and lubricated in the shop, so this came as quite the surprise. We ended up just picking up the parts and scrapping pretty much everything except a few usable pieces. We now own some VMB lifts that we are extremely careful with.

A few months later another company near us took their 4x Eventer 25s to the same service center and had the exact same result--all four were deemed a total loss.

I say definitely have them checked out by the service center but be prepared for any outcome.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »

Makes you wonder what the result would be with a new one.  Could you identify the bent parts when you had them back in hand?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »

Makes you wonder what the result would be with a new one.  Could you identify the bent parts when you had them back in hand?
Yeah, sounds fishy to me too.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 05:55:02 PM »

Yeah, sounds fishy to me too.

And that raises questions about whether there's really all that much liability protection to be gained by deferring all repairs and maintenance to Somebody Else.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »

I couldn't, but regardless of that there was no way I could ever feel comfortable about using them again.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »

I couldn't, but regardless of that there was no way I could ever feel comfortable about using them again.

I would have asked to show me the bend using what ever gauge or fixture they measure it with.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.