ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curious what the Bose l1 vocal mic eq presets are actually doing  (Read 753 times)

Wayne Smith2

I've been curious and searching about for an answer to this. About all I've come up with is 'to make a given mic sound good on our system', ok. To 'fix/help the poor sound from close mic position' (paraphrasing there) and 'It's proprietary and don't give it out'.
I would presume (speculate) that it might at least in part eq to counter the mics presence lifts to reduce feedback?
Thanks

Thomas Le

Re: Curious what the Bose l1 vocal mic eq presets are actually doing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »

Guess one way to test is to run white noise(?) to the input and see what comes out of the line out on an L1 or the tonematch mixers... I assume the same theory to test the infamous BBE sonic maximizers. Any volunteers?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »

You could also use REW and put a sweep through it.

I did similar to figure out some EQ presets to mimic a Boss multi-FX pedal with amp modelling. The EQ curves are an approximation, but if the guitarist's amp stops working, DIing the pedalboard into a desk channel with a roughly-matching EQ (ie, Marshall stack, Fender 1x12, etc) has got me out of trouble a couple of times.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:31:46 PM »

Guess one way to test is to run white noise(?) to the input and see what comes out of the line out [...]

This sort of thing can work (although I'd suggest using pink noise as a test signal and a dual-channel analyzer), but only under the assumption that it really is just EQ being applied. Knowing Bose (a company that has spent decades making very good money pairing first-rate processing with, er, somewhat lesser hardware) I wouldn't be shocked to learn that their "EQ" presets are actually more complicated than just some biquads.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:31:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.