ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUDspeakers  (Read 6705 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: LOUDspeakers
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2021, 06:03:54 PM »

Too bad you have that weight limit, a pair of KF750 a side is dirt cheap these days and goes LOUD.
I got eight  with six frames back in 2017. Sold the fly frames and made back the initial investment, kept the speakers for now.
Sounds good with greybox processing.

Yes, a pair of 750s will do some work.

Someone mentioned SH-46.  I had the good fortune to work on these, light enough to manage, excellent passive operation, sound fantastic.  But those $$$$ tho....
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2021, 06:05:57 PM »

I suppose you'll never know until you try.  Jason R. might be able to shed some light on this.  I also forgot how heavy they are.  They are from the time of "if I can pick up that wedge I don't want to use it."

Haha. Double 15's and a 2441 potato masher come to mind....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2021, 07:23:14 PM »

[...] I’m looking at a quick (inexpensive) solution until it’s time for the real upgrade. [...]

(*Sigh*, here I go again.)

I'm not sure I've ever said this in LAB, but...

Have you considered renting?

-Russ

Dave Guilford

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2021, 11:29:47 PM »

(*Sigh*, here I go again.)

I'm not sure I've ever said this in LAB, but...

Have you considered renting?

-Russ

Yes of course I have. No one near me has SM80s.  And I’ll be using these enough moving forward that renting makes no sense at all. The jobs I have early on this season will be fine with smaller speakers.  I’m also here for the conversation and ideas.
There’s been some very good ones.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 06:21:10 AM »

No one near me has SM80s. 

Why do they need to be SM80s? 

I know I'm in the minority here by saying this, but having actually heard the SM80s (and other Danley speakers) demo'd at an outdoor venue that I regularly provide sound the SM80s didn't impress me.  Sure they're outstanding for their size/weight, but to me the money spent on them wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify the investment.  A selection from the SH Series or a J7 would be more fitting for me.

Let's be honest, once you move beyond MI-level equipment the cost of 2 SM80s is pocket change.  To me the SM80s are the hold-over option until you can afford a larger rig from Danley/Fulcrum/RCF/etc.  If you can't swing those right now either just use what you have or rent something that's "good enough" for the next month - there's no magic bullet and you get what you pay for. 

Dave Guilford

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »

Why do they need to be SM80s? 

I know I'm in the minority here by saying this, but having actually heard the SM80s (and other Danley speakers) demo'd at an outdoor venue that I regularly provide sound the SM80s didn't impress me.  Sure they're outstanding for their size/weight, but to me the money spent on them wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify the investment.  A selection from the SH Series or a J7 would be more fitting for me.

Let's be honest, once you move beyond MI-level equipment the cost of 2 SM80s is pocket change.  To me the SM80s are the hold-over option until you can afford a larger rig from Danley/Fulcrum/RCF/etc.  If you can't swing those right now either just use what you have or rent something that's "good enough" for the next month - there's no magic bullet and you get what you pay for.

Well if you’ll reference my original post - you’ll see I asked if there was something out there that I don’t know about.  You’d also see that I have limits on what I can hoist.   ::)

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »

Or go nuts.

https://tcfurlong.com/rentals/rental-inventory/loudspeakers/macpherson-monolith-loudspeaker-rental/

Wow...I haven't seen a Monolith since Dave MacPherson first introduced them in, what, early- to mid-90s?  It was....well...it was better than the earlier M1 anyway.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2021, 12:26:45 PM »

Can't comment on any of the legacy passives mentioned.
But here's some other random thoughts...

Just reading through the thread, the QRX-212 looks interesting.
I'd be surprised if the SM-80 has the volume you want, in comparison to your SRX725's, even one-per-side vs one-per-side.
The SH-46 surely works for loud. But, i'd expect it's pattern is going to beg for two per side at times.
If you could DIY, I'd say the PM90 or 60's.  Nicely LOUD.

I know you said almost certainly passive...however, i just keep wondering about the DZR 315's for your app.
92lbs, 35" tall. 75x50, 2 per side under weight limit. The high SPL specs don't make sense, but they certainly do go loud...i think their dsp somehow safely milks the SPL.
I have a bud that bought 4 of them, and he can do a lot of larger lounge work with them. He no longer rents my PM90's for his larger gigs, dammit, lol.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:08:54 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

Dave Guilford

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »

Can't comment on any of the legacy passives mentioned.
But here's some other random thoughts...

Just reading through the thread, the QRX-212 looks interesting.
I'd be surprised if the SM-80 has the volume you want, in comparison to your SRX725's, even one-per-side vs one-per-side.
The SH-46 surely works for loud. But, i'd expect it's pattern is going to beg for two per side at times.
If you could DIY, I'd say the PM90 or 60's.  Nicely LOUD.

I know you said almost certainly passive...however, i just keep wondering about the DZR 315's for your app.
92lbs, 35" tall. 75x50, 2 per side under weight limit. The high SPL specs don't make sense, but they certainly do go loud...i think their dsp somehow safely milks the SPL.
I have a bud thought bought 4 of them, and he can do a lot of larger lounge work with them. He no longer rents my PM90's for his larger gigs, dammit, lol.

They make passive DZR series, which is the CZR and I’m looking pretty seriously at them.  But the QRX is lead runner

John Schalk

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »

Fulcrum FH1596 is probably your best db per dollar value out there barring 20 year old used speakers.  If you want EV MT2 or Deltamax the former owner of my company still has them in a container on our property.
Someone in Michigan was selling four Fulcrum DX1565s for not very much money earlier this year.  The listing was out there for quite a while, although a brief search on FB and Craiglist didn't turn anything up today.  You may want to poke around a bit to see if you can find it.  A speaker like that would be a clear upgrade over your JBLs.  I ran four 12" EV DeltaMax for a few years before replacing them with a pair of DX1295s.  Unless you really like lifting heavy speakers, I think that there are better options out there today.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.