ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUDspeakers  (Read 6688 times)

Dave Guilford

LOUDspeakers
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »

Using SRX725 boxes and absolutely love them - volume and quality is spot on for where I want to be. Sometimes I bring out 4, but most of the time just use 2.  However - the ones I have don’t have the fly track so they’re ground stacked of course and that’s solid for me.  Until now.

About to take delivery of a small mobile stage that’s only rated to fly 250lbs per side.  I’d like to clean up sight lines and so I’m looking to fly some PA.

Long story short (details will be posted if relevant to responses here) , I don’t want to hang speakers that are more than 24-36” tall, so I’m probably looking at 1x15” or similar. 

I need speakers that get LOUD and small.  Bonus points if used ones are cheap.  Passive is almost certainly preferred.

Current contenders are
SM80 , but way too expensive for now.
SRX815 , but will they be loud enough?
QRX212 , but never used them and not sure they’re “short” enough.
VRX / JFL type array , but weight adds up.

Any other speakers that get surprisingly loud with a relatively small size?  What else should I consider?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: LOUDspeakers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »

Old school solution would be to find some EV DeltaMax boxes with the fly fittings. Stupid loud for their size and weight. They would require bi-amping. Aside from the usual admonition about always buying a manufacturers engineered solution for rigging anything the SRX725s are nothing more than a rework of the old JBL Concert 4800 series  and those were all riggable boxes and much heavier than the SRX. Adding pan fittings and back brackets to the SRX could be a viable solution.

Alex Cheng

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:02:07 PM »

Are Martin CDD15s an option? On paper they're a couple dB quieter, but in practice those numbers can't be directly compared of course. Horn is rotatable, so you could hang them sideways (26x17 in, 57 lbs). I haven't personally heard the 15s, but the 12s are fantastic.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »

Using SRX725 boxes and absolutely love them - volume and quality is spot on for where I want to be. Sometimes I bring out 4, but most of the time just use 2.  However - the ones I have don’t have the fly track so they’re ground stacked of course and that’s solid for me.  Until now.

About to take delivery of a small mobile stage that’s only rated to fly 250lbs per side.  I’d like to clean up sight lines and so I’m looking to fly some PA.

Long story short (details will be posted if relevant to responses here) , I don’t want to hang speakers that are more than 24-36” tall, so I’m probably looking at 1x15” or similar. 

I need speakers that get LOUD and small.  Bonus points if used ones are cheap.  Passive is almost certainly preferred.

Current contenders are
SM80 , but way too expensive for now.
SRX815 , but will they be loud enough?
QRX212 , but never used them and not sure they’re “short” enough.
VRX / JFL type array , but weight adds up.

Any other speakers that get surprisingly loud with a relatively small size?  What else should I consider?

Loud is a relative term, however, I have been very happy with my Yorkville TX4 https://yorkville.com/legacy/product/tx4/ rigs.  Passive/old school, fits your size/weight requirements, processor managed (route'n go with very little tweaking), loud....well....  (I think they're damn-loud for the small/local festivals that I do).

Look around as they turn-up on the used marked at times.

If your looking for new, Yorkville has an updated series (somewhat similar to the discontinued TX line) VTC N4 https://www.directproaudio.com/vtc-pro-audio-n4-15-2-way-high-output-full-range-speaker/  which is also processor controlled.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 01:16:55 PM by Mike Monte »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »

Loud is a relative term, however, I have been very happy with my Yorkville TX4 https://yorkville.com/legacy/product/tx4/ rigs.  Passive/old school, fits your size/weight requirements, processor managed (route'n go with very little tweaking), loud....well....  (I think they're damn-loud for the small/local festivals that I do).

Look around as they turn-up on the used marked at times.

If your looking for new, Yorkville has an updated series (somewhat similar to the discontinued TX line) VTC N4 https://www.directproaudio.com/vtc-pro-audio-n4-15-2-way-high-output-full-range-speaker/  which is also processor controlled.

Riley's Deltamax solution is a good one if you can find it.   TX4 was really popular on the LAB in the 90s, pretty much a poor man's Deltamax.  Quality build, quality components, factory fly things.  Checks a lot of boxes, and also had an analog controller. Dave Lowum (where are you Dave) built/helped build a smallish regional company based on TX4s in the Chicago area. I last saw Dave in lower Wisconsin at that famous sausage joint right off the interstate in 1999-2000 I guess.  The sausage joint had a robust small venue attached.  2x TX4 per side, plenty loud, etc.  I imagine TX4 is still in use all over Canada.

I have used QRX-212 quite a bit, passive mode.  They're robust enough to use as side fills on larger stages than you will be fielding.  They're fine for FOH, normally when I was using them stacked on JBL 728s.  They have rigging points and the HF rotates, so you could fly them sideways for sight lines.  I imagine they're even better biamped.   If there are FIR presets for these (Dynacord), that should really make you grin.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 05:54:37 PM »

Maybe KV audio, Fulcrum?  There is nothing wrong with passive speakers, but if you are looking for new products, you are leaving a whole lot of great possibilities out of contention.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 06:06:48 PM »

I have used QRX-212 quite a bit, passive mode.    If there are FIR presets for these (Dynacord), that should really make you grin.

What Dynacord are you referring to?  I have a few QRX 212 I may be putting to work as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »

What Dynacord are you referring to?  I have a few QRX 212 I may be putting to work as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like EV is out of the rack mount DSP xover business,but I think Dynacord has one.  I was looking for X-Array FIR processing (that would a huge improvement for a brutishly loud system) and stumbled across the Dynacord box.  I couldn't find a preset list though.  Maybe ping your EV rep?

Is anyone here EV-savvy?
It's got electrolytes. 

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 07:05:42 PM »

It looks like EV is out of the rack mount DSP xover business,but I think Dynacord has one.  I was looking for X-Array FIR processing (that would a huge improvement for a brutishly loud system) and stumbled across the Dynacord box.  I couldn't find a preset list though.  Maybe ping your EV rep?

Is anyone here EV-savvy?

I wonder why there are no DSP? I had not been on EV's site in a while and was stunned when I saw that.

Edit. I have a couple of Xilica but starting points are always helpful
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:09:20 PM by Kemper Watson »

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »

I wonder why there are no DSP? I had not been on EV's site in a while and was stunned when I saw that.

Cruising Dynacord's site it looks like it's cheap enough to put it the amplifiers. 

That's my theory, anyway. 

I'll wager you could hire someone to roll up a QRX FIR enabled preset, if you could process it.
It's got electrolytes. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.