ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUDspeakers  (Read 6686 times)

Robert Healey

Re: LOUDspeakers
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »

I wonder why there are no DSP? I had not been on EV's site in a while and was stunned when I saw that.

Edit. I have a couple of Xilica but starting points are always helpful

Bosch re-launched the Dynacord brand in the US in 2019 and is putting all the electronics there.

The new L&C series amps are very cost effective and have all of EV's FIR presets. There is a 1RU DSP as well but it is targeted at the install market.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:06:14 AM by Robert Healey »

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 11:15:23 AM »

Fulcrum FH1596 is probably your best db per dollar value out there barring 20 year old used speakers.  If you want EV MT2 or Deltamax the former owner of my company still has them in a container on our property.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 11:39:00 AM »

You dismissed the SM80s straight off as "too expensive" but it looks like many of the suggestions here are not much cheaper or even considerably higher priced.

Yep.  There's a reason why I'm not letting go of my Yorkville Unity rig anytime soon!  The cost of upgrading "to the next level" is significant with a quickly diminishing return on investment. 

Dave, knowing what an SM80 costs (which I do), if that number scares you away you're probably not ready to make the investment yet.  Larger systems don't do well with cutting corners or subscribing to the "box a month" plan let alone the added costs of rigging and transport that often go along with it.   

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »

Too bad you have that weight limit, a pair of KF750 a side is dirt cheap these days and goes LOUD.
I got eight  with six frames back in 2017. Sold the fly frames and made back the initial investment, kept the speakers for now.
Sounds good with greybox processing.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »

Yep.  There's a reason why I'm not letting go of my Yorkville Unity rig anytime soon!  The cost of upgrading "to the next level" is significant with a quickly diminishing return on investment. 

Dave, knowing what an SM80 costs (which I do), if that number scares you away you're probably not ready to make the investment yet.  Larger systems don't do well with cutting corners or subscribing to the "box a month" plan let alone the added costs of rigging and transport that often go along with it.   

That number doesn’t scare me at all.  As I mentioned , I just bought a mobile stage lol.  I just don’t have the extra $5k right now, and I’m using the stage right now.  I’m looking at a quick (inexpensive) solution until it’s time for the real upgrade.  Scalability would be nice, but I’m not seeing much option there except for QRX212 and rotate horns when a second pair comes along.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 12:38:41 PM »

You dismissed the SM80s straight off as "too expensive" but it looks like many of the suggestions here are not much cheaper or even considerably higher priced.

Certainly didn’t dismiss - I think I even listed them first!  I still have the quote from you , and truthfully that’s where I probably want to end , but the money isn’t in the cards until gigs start rolling in next month.

That said - some of these options are less than half the cost of those Danleys. 

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 01:16:04 PM »

Riley's Deltamax solution is a good one if you can find it...

Hey Doug,
And we might know of a warehouse with a low miles DeltaMax rig... only driven on Sundays by a little old Symphony Orchestra...

The amps and processing are long gone, but the cabinets are near showroom, just dusty from sitting a long while.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 01:47:33 PM »

Hey Doug,
And we might know of a warehouse with a low miles DeltaMax rig... only driven on Sundays by a little old Symphony Orchestra...

The amps and processing are long gone, but the cabinets are near showroom, just dusty from sitting a long while.

Yeah that came to mind immediately. 

OP should consider contacting Ron.  He won't make any money on the deal, and they have never been listed afaik. 
And they have never been outdoors.

It should be simple to roll a DSP preset for these.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »

Hey Doug,

Specs were tough to track down but it seems they only 126dB max. Is there something about them I’m missing?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »

Specs were tough to track down but it seems they only 126dB max. Is there something about them I’m missing?

It depends on how the measurement is done.  I recall EV being fairly conservative (honest LOL). The factory sheet says 126 continuous, 132 max.

Also, it appears the spec includes operation with the accompanying controller. IIRC it uses sense lines to monitor the amplifier outputs and limit accordingly.  It may be the limited settings are conservative, like the TX-4 Yorkville setup.
Unpowered Meyer kit had a 'safe mode' switch, limiting kicked in 6dB sooner.

I suppose you'll never know until you try.  Jason R. might be able to shed some light on this.  I also forgot how heavy they are.  They are from the time of "if I can pick up that wedge I don't want to use it."

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.