ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the typical mute architecture on a modern board ? on inputs or output a  (Read 1565 times)

Mal Brown

I know this sounds silly but...  I am used to thinking that I mute inputs not outputs.  I think my boards all can mute outputs but I don't generally go there...  Is there a common understanding of where the mute takes place or is this an all over the map thing by vendor ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 06:40:42 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

I know this sounds silly but...  I used to thinking that I mute inputs not outputs.  I think my boards all can mute outputs but I don't generally go there...  Is there a common understanding of where the mute takes place or is this an all over the map thing by vendor ?

I don’t think I’ve ever mixed on a desk that didn’t have mutes on both.  I’d be frustrated if I had only input or output mutes but not both.

Miguel Dahl

I know this sounds silly but...  I used to thinking that I mute inputs not outputs.  I think my boards all can mute outputs but I don't generally go there...  Is there a common understanding of where the mute takes place or is this an all over the map thing by vendor ?

Do you mean if it mutes the sends as well as the channel when hitting mute?

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume

I'm not sure exactly what problem you're solving for but will take a stab with a few observations:

- You can obviously mute an input channel on the surface or an output channel on the surface (with or w/o mute group automation)
- Most good digital consoles provide settings around how mutes operate in the signal flow - such as pre-mute and pre/post fader settings - with pre-mute an aux send  (such as IEM) will still pass signal. 
- Then there are mute techniques, such as I tend to mute FX by muting the send to the FX engine rather than the return so it dissipates naturally

Hope that helps or post more detail if you're solving a specific issue or on a certain console!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

I mute VCAs only except on the Midas Pro series where I mute VCAs and monitor sends IF i do monitors from FOH.
Reason: Pro series don't mute aux sends on VCA.
(Tip: super handy with IEMs, you can keep FOH muted but musicians hear something before they walk on stage when you unmute monitor auxes. Not so easy on other consoles)

Mal Brown

I'm trying to explain the impacts of channel muting to a programmer working on an EQ pedal.  I wanted to see how other folks think about muting.   Told you it was silly ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Mutes being available at different points just allows you the flexibilty to kill audio in some places, but not all places at different times.

So if you're done with soundcheck but the band want's to rehearse just mute the mains.

If it's break time and you want to go get dinner, mute the inputs.

If you need to check your routing to the different fx units, mute the aux sends and unmute them one at a time.

Etc, etc. It's just another paintbrush to paint with.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I'm trying to explain the impacts of channel muting to a programmer working on an EQ pedal.  I wanted to see how other folks think about muting.   Told you it was silly ;-)

In that case... where does the mute/bypass do the changeover, at the input or the output?  For 'ambience' FX and delays I want the inputs (source) to mute so the tail of the effect plays out.  EQ is a pretty instantaneous thing so by itself, I'm not sure if it matters.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

In that case... where does the mute/bypass do the changeover, at the input or the output?  For 'ambience' FX and delays I want the inputs (source) to mute so the tail of the effect plays out.  EQ is a pretty instantaneous thing so by itself, I'm not sure if it matters.

In the case of the EQ pedal, the mutes were put on the outputs.  The pedal also has flexible internal routing.  So stereo in, mono out which how I was using it.  and the pedal has a great on board tuning function.  and 5 pin midi...  So the programmer added a feature to the tuner for me that would set to input to whichever channel is not muted.  Problem for me is that kills my stereo in, mono out routing.  Works fine stereo in, stereo out...

My use case is to cable 2 basses with varying gains.  Use the EQ to gain balance and then run mono to the rest of my signal chain.  Engage the tuner with a press and hold of the pedal's footswitch and not send midi to tell the EQ which channel to tune...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions

I know this sounds silly but...  I am used to thinking that I mute inputs not outputs.  I think my boards all can mute outputs but I don't generally go there...  Is there a common understanding of where the mute takes place or is this an all over the map thing by vendor ?

Pull up any particular console's Block Diagram tp be sure.  Attached is the M32's.  On it, Mute happens immediately upstream of the Fader, on Channel Strips.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook

sounds complicated. You could just buy this and have a tuner ahead of each bass input. Proper gain controls vs. EQ for levels and built very well..
https://www.thegigrig.com/three2one

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.