ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Risks of selling on Craigslist question  (Read 1845 times)

john lutz

Risks of selling on Craigslist question
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

I'm not a big on line seller and anytime I've done this before it's always been a local face to face transaction.

I just put a collection of stage mics on C-list and a guy on the other coast is interested.  I don't do pay-pal or credit card account.

Nothing shouts scam so far.... so if I invoice him, with description and terms, as is, no returns, and he pays, and the bank clears the check, and I ship insured and signature delivery does that cover all the risks?

Update:
so I did a bit more digging and it looks like the guy is a seller on Reverb.com, with 99%positive going back 5 years.
I know absolutly nothing about Reverb.com or if the published data means anything at all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:41:55 PM by john lutz »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Risks of selling on Craigslist question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

I'm not a big on line seller and anytime I've done this before it's always been a local face to face transaction.

I just put a collection of stage mics on C-list and a guy on the other coast is interested.  I don't do pay-pal or credit card account.

Nothing shouts scam so far.... so if I invoice him, with description and terms, as is, no returns, and he pays, and the bank clears the check, and I ship insured and signature delivery does that cover all the risks?
Nope.
If the check is a scam, the bank WILL come back to you.
Your bank can clear it, and the original bank can bounce it back. This may take 10 to 20 DAYS.
I would go with a certified check, and a 10 day waiting period.
Money Order or Wells Fargo transfers work too.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

john lutz

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 12:31:52 PM »

Nope.
If the check is a scam, the bank WILL come back to you.
Your bank can clear it, and the original bank can bounce it back. This may take 10 to 20 DAYS.
I would go with a certified check, and a 10 day waiting period.
Money Order or Wells Fargo transfers work too.
Chris.

OK, thx.  I'll talk to my bank... at some point cleared has to mean cleared.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »

It's somewhat unusual to have someone on an opposite coast contact you via Craigslist, especially for microphones (unless it's a unique mic package/crazy studio quality/vintage/etc)... I would be EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY cautious, and I would definitely wait at least two weeks for any check to clear (including bank checks).

Make certain the buyer is aware of your policy and explain that due to the proliferance of online scams, you must protect yourself by making certain his funds clear before you'll ship.

And not that PayPal is any type of iron-clad insurance, you do have some recourse/validation that his funds are valid prior to shipping. It's 3%, but I'll take that 3% hit if it helps mean I don't get scammed.

Has he provided a phone number or any other form of semi-verifiable contact info?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:51:20 PM by Steve Litscher »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »

What about a wire transfer?  That was what my banker suggested for a purchase I was doing. 
Steve Swaffer

john lutz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »

It's somewhat unusual to have someone on an opposite coast contact you via Craigslist, especially for microphones (unless it's a unique mic package/crazy studio quality/vintage/etc)... I would be EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY cautious, and I would definitely wait at least two weeks for any check to clear (including bank checks).

Make certain the buyer is aware of your policy and explain that due to the proliferance of online scams, you must protect yourself by making certain his funds clear before you'll ship.

And not that PayPal is any type of iron-clad insurance, you do have some recourse/validation that his funds are valid prior to shipping. It's 3%, but I'll take that 3% hit if it helps mean I don't get scammed.

Has he provided a phone number or any other form of semi-verifiable contact info?

Yeah I thought that slightly unusual. He does appear to have some kind of on line sales biz...so probably scours for deals?

I responded with a no go but then started second guessing... I'm leaning to just do local like I usually do.  Thx for input.

Update: so I did a bit more digging and it looks like the guy is a seller on Reverb.com, with 99%positive going back 5 years.

I know absolutly nothing about Reverb.com or if the published data means anything at all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:39:57 PM by john lutz »

john lutz

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »

What about a wire transfer?  That was what my banker suggested for a purchase I was doing.

thx for idea, I will look into that if I go further.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 12:30:45 AM »

I have been buying and selling on CL for many years no problem. I only accept cash. no refunds. I have this many ads on CL right now. Here is one of ads and yes that is cash only or we go to the bank and transfer. Somehow this ad got put in the Nashville section. I gotta get it back in the LA section.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/d/north-hills-hiwatt/7309689738.html

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:33:59 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 12:41:25 AM »

It's somewhat unusual to have someone on an opposite coast contact you via Craigslist,
I am in Los Angeles and wanted a 2nd "RED" Ford F350 Dually with the 7.3 engine. I found one in Minden Louisiana on CL. I contacted the guy and he said bring a cashiers check for $23,000.00. So I loaded up my "RED" F350 hitched my 24 foot trailer to it and went and bought it at about 10 o'clock at night. I drove it about 2 miles and it ran good. That was 2 years ago and the truck runs great. Here is a foto. I have also searched for rare mics and other stuff on CL across the country.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 07:16:51 AM »

Update:
so I did a bit more digging and it looks like the guy is a seller on Reverb.com, with 99%positive going back 5 years.
Can you do an E Transfer? It's as much like cash as it gets and allows for a faster transaction.
I sold a motorcycle and was paid via E Transfer while standing in a parking lot loading the bike on a truck to be shipped to Vancouver.
No problem!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 07:16:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.