ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Router or WAP  (Read 3490 times)

John Roll

Router or WAP
« on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »

I will be attempting to set up the ability to ring out monitors wirelessly using Presonus UC and a tablet. I am confused about whether or not I should get a router or a WAP. Any help is appreciated.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Router or WAP
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »

I think that depends on your definition of "router."

Most home "routers" are a combination of a DHCP server, router, switch, and access point, and they they call it a wifi router. You can certainly split out these functions to other pieces of gear, and sometimes that's preferable. Oftentimes an all-in-one wifi router is just fine for most small venues, but you might start having issues in larger venues or in crowded RF environments.

Personally, I usually use a small router/switch (Ubiquiti ER-X) and an access point (older Ubiquiti bullet with a 14" antenna), since it allows me to keep the router close to my gear and put the access point where it will have good reception. If it's just me connecting, sometimes I don't bother with the router and I just use the access point straight into my console and a static address on my Ipad. If I need DHCP, or more than one network port, I patch in a small router/switch.

If it's a really small show and I don't need wifi once the audience shows up, I might just use an Airport Express, since it's so quick to power and patch. It's always nice to have options.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:36:35 PM »

I will be attempting to set up the ability to ring out monitors wirelessly using Presonus UC and a tablet. I am confused about whether or not I should get a router or a WAP. Any help is appreciated.

John

Brian does almost exactly what I do (router + WAP), but for the vast majority of folks, an all-in-one wireless router should work perfectly fine, especially if your wireless router and UC are close to the stage. Then it'll be a no-brainer.

Apple's Airport Express has long been a favorite, as it provides good wireless coverage, has a router, and is about the size of a big deck of cards... but there are a ton of consumer grade wireless routers that should fit the bill. Just make sure you disable guest access and use a strong password for joining your network.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 06:35:01 PM »

Brian does almost exactly what I do (router + WAP), but for the vast majority of folks, an all-in-one wireless router should work perfectly fine, especially if your wireless router and UC are close to the stage. Then it'll be a no-brainer.

Apple's Airport Express has long been a favorite, as it provides good wireless coverage, has a router, and is about the size of a big deck of cards... but there are a ton of consumer grade wireless routers that should fit the bill. Just make sure you disable guest access and use a strong password for joining your network.
All of this!  THough I've got no time for Apple stuff - really, any domestic dual band router should do just fine.  I've never been let down by old ex-ISP routers - cost, next to nothing.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »

And to add.....hide your SSID, turn off the 2.4g radio and only use 5g.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 08:33:50 PM »

And to add.....hide your SSID, turn off the 2.4g radio and only use 5g.
I beg to differ on this a little.

By all means hide your SSID, but beware a little more complexity to debug if you ever have challenges connecting - or if you need to add other people to the router on an ad-hoc basis.

While it may be a regional thing, in the UK I always have both radio bands enabled.  It's all very well having the faster throughput and lower utilisation of the 5 GHz band, but its range is more limited, so well worth having the 2.4 GHz band available for use.  I've always found my devices switch between the two bands as required with no fuss and, most importantly, I get the most range when I need it.  Never yet had an issue with this.

doug johnson2

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:03:18 PM »

I use enterprise level APs, mostly Ubiquiti, with a non-wifi router.  Mainly because i want the option of multiple wired connections at every point (I do APs and bridges). If you don't want/need that, most APs will work in router mode with one or two wired connections.  The robustness/range of these types of AP is sooooo superior than that of consumer type wifi routers, to me it is a no brainer.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »

I just set up a couple ubiquiti er-x with some ubiquiti uap-ac-m access points. While figuring it out was a bit of hell, they work really well now that everything is setup and they have great range. I know many people who use apple airports with great success. They are easier to setup.

I also disagree about turning off 2.4. I do sound at one ampitheater that right around nightfall the park cameras all kick on and they destroy the 5ghz range. I have to switch over to 2.4 or I only get 30 feet of range with dropouts. I am not the only one this happens to at this particular venue. I have no clue why this happens, but I know how to work around it. I use 5ghz pretty exclusively everywhere else.

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 10:39:45 AM »

I'm using a to-link Archer C1900 ?  or is is 1750..  I forget and am to lazy to pull it from the pen.  I hardwire a win 10all in one touch pc to it and also hardware from the board to it.  Then for the most part I use the 5g side.  ipad air Ii's for side stage and wandering.

wonder if I'll ever need that rig again ?  sure hope so.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »

Ahh... the old "hide the SSID" discussion/debate. :D

I've read both sides of the argument for/against hiding your SSID and ultimately it sounds like wireless devices don't care if the SSID is "hidden" - it really only impacts humans who are semi-passively looking for WiFi networks. The devices are always broadcasting and listening for a signal, so even if you hide it from human eyes, the devices still "know" about the network.

So, while it may help avoid the very casual nefarious person from potentially seeing your network, hiding your SSID is unlikely to slow/stop devices from being aware of and/or trying to connect to your network.

As an aside, I use a cheap/free app on my laptop called "WiFi Explorer" and can see *every* single WiFi device in my area, hidden SSID or not. It's pretty handy for working in extremely crowded areas.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.