Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Router or WAP

<< < (5/5)

Brian Adams:

--- Quote from: John Lackner on July 11, 2021, 02:59:02 PM ---Routers with internal antennas are a favorite for me. No antenna to break off.

--- End quote ---

I used to like those too, until I had one too many shows where they didn't work. Large audiences with lots of devices will overwhelm most typical consumer-grade routers. I'd say if you're doing a show for more than a few hundred people, you should have something better, especially if it's mission critical.

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Brian Adams on July 12, 2021, 04:47:42 PM ---I used to like those too, until I had one too many shows where they didn't work. Large audiences with lots of devices will overwhelm most typical consumer-grade routers. I'd say if you're doing a show for more than a few hundred people, you should have something better, especially if it's mission critical.

--- End quote ---

IF it's mission critical, it should be wired.
With a backup wire as well.

Cory Chenoweth:
I've had good results with EnGenius Works ENH200 & ENH500 (I own 1 ENH200 & 3 ENH500). Designed for outdoor use.  Higher dBm transmit power than most home routers/repeaters. https://www.engeniusworks.com/ENH500.asp

Brian Adams:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on July 12, 2021, 05:13:38 PM ---IF it's mission critical, it should be wired.
With a backup wire as well.

--- End quote ---

I agree most of the time, but if a band I'm working with wants to run their own ears with their phones in a 10k capacity arena, I'm not going to tell them no. Instead, I'll set up a decent wireless network for them to be on that won't drop out when the place fills up. Is it mission critical? I guess not, technically, since there's always someone at the monitor console anyway, but the band sure is unhappy when the wifi doesn't work.

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Brian Adams on July 12, 2021, 11:13:58 PM ---I agree most of the time, but if a band I'm working with wants to run their own ears with their phones in a 10k capacity arena, I'm not going to tell them no. Instead, I'll set up a decent wireless network for them to be on that won't drop out when the place fills up. Is it mission critical? I guess not, technically, since there's always someone at the monitor console anyway, but the band sure is unhappy when the wifi doesn't work.

--- End quote ---

Depends on if you're working with the band or as a provider for just that gig.
If with the band, I agree. Certainly something to look into and do properly.
If you're the provider, not sure I would take on that kind of responsibility. Too many unknown factors.
I would probably look into a wired solution that could run off my monitor desk (some kind of remote fader setup) or similar if I was a provider for these kind of gigs regularly and needed a generic solution.
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version