ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Router or WAP  (Read 3489 times)

Mal Brown

Re: Router or WAP
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 10:54:09 AM »

That would be my understanding as well Steve.  I don't bother hiding my SSID anymore.  More important to get off of the 2.4 ghz band
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »

Ahh... the old "hide the SSID" discussion/debate. :D

I've read both sides of the argument for/against hiding your SSID and ultimately it sounds like wireless devices don't care if the SSID is "hidden" - it really only impacts humans who are semi-passively looking for WiFi networks. The devices are always broadcasting and listening for a signal, so even if you hide it from human eyes, the devices still "know" about the network.

So, while it may help avoid the very casual nefarious person from potentially seeing your network, hiding your SSID is unlikely to slow/stop devices from being aware of and/or trying to connect to your network.

As an aside, I use a cheap/free app on my laptop called "WiFi Explorer" and can see *every* single WiFi device in my area, hidden SSID or not. It's pretty handy for working in extremely crowded areas.

Yet I keep all of my routers/ WAPS hidden and I have never been able to find them on the WIFI analyzers I use. I have 2 apps on my iPhone and one on my Android tablet. I just tried to find one of my hidden SSID routers to be sure and nothing showed up.

I have 3 Apple Airport Express and a Ubiquiti Mesh.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »

Yet I keep all of my routers/ WAPS hidden and I have never been able to find them on the WIFI analyzers I use. I have 2 apps on my iPhone and one on my Android tablet. I just tried to find one of my hidden SSID routers to be sure and nothing showed up.

I have 3 Apple Airport Express and a Ubiquiti Mesh.

I've found that the mobile apps aren't as good as the desktop/laptop apps for whatever reason. I stopped relying on my mobile apps and now only use the WiFi Explorer app on my laptop(s).

SSID info is broadcast as part of the beacon signal - named/not-named/hidden/whatever, the beacon has to be transmitted, otherwise your trusted devices wouldn't know how to contact the access point.

Here's an article that talks about it in more detail:
https://www.alphr.com/should-broadcast-wifi-ssid/

And I've attached a photo of a scan from a few minutes ago using WiFi explorer. Any network in grey is "hidden."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 01:38:25 PM »

All of this!  THough I've got no time for Apple stuff

The Airport express was one of the EASIEST wifi access points to set up and deploy.  Hate Apple or not, it was an awesome piece.  Sad that they got out of the game.
Brian Jojade

John Roll

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »

The Airport express was one of the EASIEST wifi access points to set up and deploy.  Hate Apple or not, it was an awesome piece.  Sad that they got out of the game.

Brian,
If you had to buy new, what would you recommend? From this thread it seems I'll need a router and a WAP.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »

If you had to buy new, what would you recommend? From this thread it seems I'll need a router and a WAP.
The mind boggles at wanting two items (each with their own PSU and cabling) when one will do a perfectly good job - especially considering your opening post indicated that you wanted this just for ringing out monitors.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 10:14:16 AM »

I know plenty of people that use a $30 Netgear from Walmart and it works fine. These are bands that play small venues, not arenas, of course. I'd say if you're under 200 people just about anything would work.

I still use an Airport Express occasionally when I'm just ringing stuff out, even in a 2,500 seat theater. It's fine for setting up when the building is mostly empty, although I'll use something else if I'll need it while there's a large crowd.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Māris Brensons

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »

I`m looking for weatherproof solution and found GrooveA 52 ( https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGrooveA-52HPnr2 ). This unit is with only one Ethernet (no LAN) connection. Is it possible to connect with Behringer X32 for wireless mixing?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber