Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Router or WAP

(1/5) > >>

John Roll:
I will be attempting to set up the ability to ring out monitors wirelessly using Presonus UC and a tablet. I am confused about whether or not I should get a router or a WAP. Any help is appreciated.

John

Brian Adams:
I think that depends on your definition of "router."

Most home "routers" are a combination of a DHCP server, router, switch, and access point, and they they call it a wifi router. You can certainly split out these functions to other pieces of gear, and sometimes that's preferable. Oftentimes an all-in-one wifi router is just fine for most small venues, but you might start having issues in larger venues or in crowded RF environments.

Personally, I usually use a small router/switch (Ubiquiti ER-X) and an access point (older Ubiquiti bullet with a 14" antenna), since it allows me to keep the router close to my gear and put the access point where it will have good reception. If it's just me connecting, sometimes I don't bother with the router and I just use the access point straight into my console and a static address on my Ipad. If I need DHCP, or more than one network port, I patch in a small router/switch.

If it's a really small show and I don't need wifi once the audience shows up, I might just use an Airport Express, since it's so quick to power and patch. It's always nice to have options.

Steve Litcher:

--- Quote from: John Roll on April 22, 2021, 11:07:35 am ---I will be attempting to set up the ability to ring out monitors wirelessly using Presonus UC and a tablet. I am confused about whether or not I should get a router or a WAP. Any help is appreciated.

John

--- End quote ---

Brian does almost exactly what I do (router + WAP), but for the vast majority of folks, an all-in-one wireless router should work perfectly fine, especially if your wireless router and UC are close to the stage. Then it'll be a no-brainer.

Apple's Airport Express has long been a favorite, as it provides good wireless coverage, has a router, and is about the size of a big deck of cards... but there are a ton of consumer grade wireless routers that should fit the bill. Just make sure you disable guest access and use a strong password for joining your network.

Alec Spence:

--- Quote from: Steve Litscher on April 22, 2021, 04:36:35 pm ---Brian does almost exactly what I do (router + WAP), but for the vast majority of folks, an all-in-one wireless router should work perfectly fine, especially if your wireless router and UC are close to the stage. Then it'll be a no-brainer.

Apple's Airport Express has long been a favorite, as it provides good wireless coverage, has a router, and is about the size of a big deck of cards... but there are a ton of consumer grade wireless routers that should fit the bill. Just make sure you disable guest access and use a strong password for joining your network.

--- End quote ---
All of this!  THough I've got no time for Apple stuff - really, any domestic dual band router should do just fine.  I've never been let down by old ex-ISP routers - cost, next to nothing.

Mike Caldwell:
And to add.....hide your SSID, turn off the 2.4g radio and only use 5g.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version