ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer Sound UPA - Yoke & Base Plate  (Read 1243 times)

Jon Fu

Meyer Sound UPA - Yoke & Base Plate
« on: April 22, 2021, 03:19:59 AM »

I'm hoping to find a solution that'd allow me to attach a Meyer UPA MYA-UPA yoke to a base plate so I can position the speaker with an upwards tilt from the floor. I was thinking of purchasing the K&M base plate (product 26700), which has a diameter of about 17.7 inches compared to the UPA's rounded footprint of about 14.5 inches. The base plate features a M20 threaded connector and I believe the UPA yoke accepts a M12 thread, so I'd use a thread reducer to secure the base plate to the yoke.

What gives me pause is the weight of the box. The base plate is about 15 pounds versus the 77 pound UPA. I won't be elevating the box beyond the additional height supplied by the base plate and the yoke, but I'm still concerned with the box tipping over with a slight upwards tilt.

Does this sound like an adequate solution or should I pursue another method?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Meyer Sound UPA - Yoke & Base Plate
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 06:09:27 AM »

The design of the MYA yoke is sepcifically to keep the center of gravity of the box centered over/under the mount point on the yoke.  So assuming a nominal uptilt, you should be just fine without any risk of tipping the entire assembly.

The rig points on the MYA are not threaded, but I don't remember what their diameter of the rig point holes are though.  If they're large enough to accommodate an M20 bolt, then that's all you need (plus a washer or two) to secure the yoke to the base plate.  If not, then you would need a coupling nut or thread reducer to go from M20 down to something that would fit through the hole on the yoke.

The other option would be to use something like the K&M adapter bolt (p/n 19683) and stick a pole cup bracket/top hat on the yoke.  It's only 50mm(~2") long, so the weight of the speaker/yoke assembly would probably end up resting on the bottom of the pole cup if the interior length of the cup is <2".

Finally, if you're not worried about bolting to the base plate itself and the yoke holes are <M20, you could simply use a rated long bolt that fits through the yoke point, a handful of flat washers, and a nut on the bottom of the base plate.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »

I'm hoping to find a solution that'd allow me to attach a Meyer UPA MYA-UPA yoke to a base plate so I can position the speaker with an upwards tilt from the floor. {...}

It depends on how much uptilt you're going for, but have you considered just propping the front of the speaker up on a length or two of 2x4 painted black? Certainly around here that's the the traditional solution for tiling up a UPA sitting on the floor.

-Russ

Jon Fu

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 11:39:49 PM »

Finally, if you're not worried about bolting to the base plate itself and the yoke holes are <M20, you could simply use a rated long bolt that fits through the yoke point, a handful of flat washers, and a nut on the bottom of the base plate.

I think I'll do this. Thanks Brian. I appreciate your help on this.

It depends on how much uptilt you're going for, but have you considered just propping the front of the speaker up on a length or two of 2x4 painted black? Certainly around here that's the the traditional solution for tiling up a UPA sitting on the floor.

I've been doing this so far, but I'd like a bit more precision and convenience. I'm using the UPA-2P and it's less forgiving when it comes to placement.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 01:28:00 AM »

I think I'll do this. Thanks Brian. I appreciate your help on this.

I've been doing this so far, but I'd like a bit more precision and convenience. I'm using the UPA-2P and it's less forgiving when it comes to placement.

Where are you located Jon? I have some of the K&M (and similar Gravity brand) plates on hand if you want to try it out.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jon Fu

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:54:14 PM »

Where are you located Jon? I have some of the K&M (and similar Gravity brand) plates on hand if you want to try it out.

That's very kind of you - I'm in Los Angeles and I wish I was closer or else I'd take you up on that offer. I think I may purchase one just to try it out.

Thanks again everyone.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:54:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.