ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control surface preferences  (Read 1093 times)

John Roll

Control surface preferences
« on: April 21, 2021, 04:28:02 PM »

Hey all! I'm looking for opinions regarding control surfaces;i.e Ipad, Surface, etc., for wireless control of my StudioLive 32SC. I'm not going to mix shows on it, I just want to be able to check/ring out monitors.

Thanks,
John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

doug johnson2

Re: Control surface preferences
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 04:51:53 PM »

I tend to go with used for my live kit.  A lot less crying if something happens to it.  My go to recently has been used Surface Pro 3s with the atom processor.  They work great and can be picked up on the used market for less than a used late model Ipad. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 09:24:59 PM »

I tend to go with used for my live kit.  A lot less crying if something happens to it.  My go to recently has been used Surface Pro 3s with the atom processor.  They work great and can be picked up on the used market for less than a used late model Ipad.

I agree. I tend to find out what the oldest tech I can get that will run the control software for a mixer and buy a couple [or more] of them on eBay. And then I usually bring at least two to a gig. I'm partial to iPad Minis [I like the form factor] but there are lots of other choices.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »

Most remote control software is pretty light on requirements.

While I can't speak for Presonus UC, you can run Mixing Station (for X/M32, X-Air, QU, and Si) on just about anything.  Fire 7 tablets are as cheap as it gets, especially on Prime discounts, and work just fine.  But, if it were just for ringing out monitors, I'd use my phone - cost = 0.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »

I agree. I tend to find out what the oldest tech I can get that will run the control software for a mixer and buy a couple [or more] of them on eBay. And then I usually bring at least two to a gig. I'm partial to iPad Minis [I like the form factor] but there are lots of other choices.

+1 on this! I have a few iPad Minis ver 1 and 2 bought used and still going strong!
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »

Both of my Ipads are super old and they're still working great. A good case and a glass screen protector will go a long way.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Sean Anderson

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:23:58 PM »

Universal Control works great on my Samsung Tab A. It is a bit more resource heavy than mixing station. I like the android version of Universal Control much better than the Apple version. They, at least last time I used an ipad, are different.

Also, some older versions of Android firmware are not compatible with the current UC surface. I'm not sure about the apple stuff. I would check compatibility before you buy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:27:23 PM by Sean Anderson »

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »

With all things Presonus, checking with them first is sage advice.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Alex Cheng

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 11:43:55 PM »

I tend to favor iPads myself. After repairing my fair share of iPads and Surfaces, I've found Apple's hardware is hands-down better built. Microsoft's thin display glass and, shall we say...interesting design choices make them a bear to repair. (Even if you're replacing something that's not the screen *and* you've done a lot of work on Surfaces before, there's at least a 20-30% chance that the screen will break anyway during disassembly.)

It's nice having a tablet that runs full Windows, but iPads are the standard (and the best, IMO) out there right now in terms of both hardware and software design.

...Oh yeah, and even my woefully outdated iPad 4 still technically works for this :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 11:43:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.