ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DZR vs CZR  (Read 3040 times)

Dave Guilford

Yamaha DZR vs CZR
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »

What’s the deal here?  The DZR15 specs 139 max SPL.  Meanwhile the CZR15 (same thing but passive) says max is 129 - literally half the volume.  I really prefer passive for my set up, and I have great amps itech .. but 129 isn’t enough.

Anyone use these in real world?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Yamaha DZR vs CZR
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »

The CZR specs are believable.. the DZR not at all. If anything the CZR should get louder than they are claiming.. 98dB +32db gain from 1000w equals 130dB. And even more confounding the SPL numbers for the DZRs are claimed as "measured" but I just don't see how. Even a super short 3-4khz signal burst could only produce maybe 135dB peak but what good is that when the end user expects fullrange output.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 06:24:10 PM »

I used to have a bunch of dxr , a step down , and they were way overachievers. The DZR would be amazing.  But I figured their amp has filters and such. I wonder if I could get tunings for my itech or xti amps.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 06:51:05 PM »

I used to have a bunch of dxr , a step down , and they were way overachievers. The DZR would be amazing.  But I figured their amp has filters and such. I wonder if I could get tunings for my itech or xti amps.

Yamaha publishes full settings for the CZR speakers. Of course all processors are different but this should provide a good starting point.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/1228974/CZR_series_processor_settings_11.pdf
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:28:56 PM »

These boxes are overachievers, Yamaha+Nexo have managed performance that exceeds the sum of the parts so I really don't see the average end user replicating all of that with external amps and processing.

But that said, I'm also a DXR owner and if it's more SPL than those produce that you want/need than a DSR, DZR or even a CZR with 1000-1500w peak into it will get you there. And that is simply because the rated output for the DXR is similarly juiced, no way this box produces more than about 125db continuous with fulrange material.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:31:59 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

George Gurov

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 06:04:29 AM »

What’s the deal here?  The DZR15 specs 139 max SPL.  Meanwhile the CZR15 (same thing but passive) says max is 129 - literally half the volume.  I really prefer passive for my set up, and I have great amps itech .. but 129 isn’t enough.

Anyone use these in real world?
DZRs go bi-amped, from amp directly to drivers. CZR can be connected in passive mode, when power is delivered through internal crossover, which in turn eats some power, or bi-amp mode, from two amplifier channels directly to drivers, with internal crossover in bypass. In this mode, more juice can be punched into the box.

As for usage experience, an advice: if you need full spec'd SPL from a box, than it's not the box you're looking for. Aside from measurement methods etc. I've installed literally hundreds of CZRs. Objectively, the best price/spl/quality on the market today. With decent DSPs, of course. YAMAHA PX amps recommended, YAMAHA PC-D would be ideal because of FIR-presets. And bi-amp config, naturally. Itechs are great, but processing is required, like in everything nowadays.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 10:59:29 PM »

It's that Nexo magic. Selective limiting, dynamic eq, etc, etc. It all adds up to a box that will "seem" like it gets much louder than what's printed on the box. It's not getting that loud broadband, but parts of it will get that loud for a very short time. Nexo is real good at walkibng that tightrope.

For you, you'll throw power at it and it should perform really well. But it most likely won't perform *as well* as it's powered counterpart. There's millions of dollars in R&D baked in to those things.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 04:05:41 PM »

I've been working with a lot of L'Acoustics stuff lately and had to replicate some presets for a couple of speakers using run-of-the-mill amplification. I can tell you with certainty that there is a whole lot of stuff going on inside some of these speakers' DSP settings.

Multiband dynamics, input limiting, output limiting, expansion, compression, filter shifting, you name it, they are doing it. I can make a preset on an ordinary amp that at X volume sounds identical to the proprietary stuff, but as soon as you deviate from that volume things sound off. The vendors are truly doing some mad scientist stuff in these amp modules to get the most out of the speakers. Things you just can't do with basic DSP and amplification.

I don't believe for one second that Yamaha is getting a real 139db out of the DZR, and what the CZR is stating is probably an actual real number that any human can achieve with standard stuff. RCF seems to do things that way too. The spec they state is an actual achievable result.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dave Guilford

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 05:22:24 PM »

I've been working with a lot of L'Acoustics stuff lately and had to replicate some presets for a couple of speakers using run-of-the-mill amplification. I can tell you with certainty that there is a whole lot of stuff going on inside some of these speakers' DSP settings.

Multiband dynamics, input limiting, output limiting, expansion, compression, filter shifting, you name it, they are doing it. I can make a preset on an ordinary amp that at X volume sounds identical to the proprietary stuff, but as soon as you deviate from that volume things sound off. The vendors are truly doing some mad scientist stuff in these amp modules to get the most out of the speakers. Things you just can't do with basic DSP and amplification.

I don't believe for one second that Yamaha is getting a real 139db out of the DZR, and what the CZR is stating is probably an actual real number that any human can achieve with standard stuff. RCF seems to do things that way too. The spec they state is an actual achievable result.

I do a lot of outdoor work and I would NOT want to put powered speakers up in the air , only to have a rain come halfway through the show.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 05:46:31 PM »

I do a lot of outdoor work and I would NOT want to put powered speakers up in the air , only to have a rain come halfway through the show.

It depends on the powered speaker (e.g. Meyer makes optional rain hoods for their speakers' amplifier modules for exactly this use-case).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 05:46:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.