ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante to AVB interface?  (Read 2093 times)

Kent Clasen

Dante to AVB interface?
« on: April 21, 2021, 08:41:34 AM »

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with running Dante mixer into a speaker DSP that uses AVB input?

I see the PreSonus interface [which looks inexpensive] but have never used one...
https://www.presonus.com/products/AVB-D16

TIA.

Robert Healey

Re: Dante to AVB interface?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with running Dante mixer into a speaker DSP that uses AVB input?

I see the PreSonus interface [which looks inexpensive] but have never used one...
https://www.presonus.com/products/AVB-D16

TIA.

Kent,

The new Biamp TC-5D is designed for this very application:

https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB/TesiraCONNECT_TC-5D

EDIT: I think this only works as a Dante endpoint in a Tesira system. Is the DSP a Biamp?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:52:23 AM by Robert Healey »

Kent Clasen

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »

Kent,

The new Biamp TC-5D is designed for this very application:

https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB/TesiraCONNECT_TC-5D

EDIT: I think this only works as a Dante endpoint in a Tesira system. Is the DSP a Biamp?

Hi Robert!

Long time no talk...

Not Biamp- it is a Meyer Galaxy.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:27:15 PM »

it is a Meyer Galaxy.

That Presonus box (first time I've heard of it) is remarkably inexpensive for its capabilities and might be worth a try. The other option is something that does Dante to AES3 (like a few Avios) and skip AVB entirely.

If you do go the Dante-to-AVB route, just bear in mind that the networking infrastructure requirements for AVB are very different from Dante (or really anything else).

-Russ

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »

If you do go the Dante-to-AVB route, just bear in mind that the networking infrastructure requirements for AVB are very different from Dante (or really anything else).

-Russ

To go right out and say it...you really shouldn't be running dante and AVB on the same network.  That said, i have, on my bench, gotten dante and cobranet (AVB's grampa) to coexist happily on the same network, but would never deploy a configuration like that in the wild though.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »

To go right out and say it...you really shouldn't be running dante and AVB on the same network.  That said, i have, on my bench, gotten dante and cobranet (AVB's grampa) to coexist happily on the same network, but would never deploy a configuration like that in the wild though.

You are a magician, David.  Any hints?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »

You are a magician, David.  Any hints?

Oh man,  I got called out.  It's been some time, but i do recall the usual dante settings, and then I think I was doing MAC address filtering to block the cobranet clock (and any multicast bundles, each multicast bundle is a different broadcast MAC) from the dante side. I only have enough cobranet devices laying around to test probably 8x8 on that side, and around 16x16 on the dante side, so it wasn't a large scale test by any means.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 01:09:14 AM »

Oh man,  I got called out.  It's been some time, but i do recall the usual dante settings, and then I think I was doing MAC address filtering to block the cobranet clock (and any multicast bundles, each multicast bundle is a different broadcast MAC) from the dante side. I only have enough cobranet devices laying around to test probably 8x8 on that side, and around 16x16 on the dante side, so it wasn't a large scale test by any means.

MAC address filters and multicast management.  Got it!

This is for my own amusement since we still have a couple Cobranet devices.  I expect to spend some time with Wireshark.

Too many dangerous critters in audio... sharks and snakes (some are cobras).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »

MAC address filters and multicast management.  Got it!

This is for my own amusement since we still have a couple Cobranet devices.  I expect to spend some time with Wireshark.

Too many dangerous critters in audio... sharks and snakes (some are cobras).

I plugged in an old switch I used back in the day when I was working with one of those cobranet E-snakes at a local venue.   I configured the last two ports on that switch to block cobranet so I could safely connect an access point.   If you look at the attached photo you will see the MAC's that I blocked.   The first 8 should correlate to multicast bundles 1-8.  The last two should correlate to the clock.
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Kent Clasen

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:11 AM »

While the PreSonus does look like a good price, I would rather go with something I know will work and be reliable. I think Dante to AES is the easiest / simplest way to go.... Looks like there are several available 2ch-16ch interfaces. I need 8ch so good to go.

I kinda wonder if PreSonus has this as a bit of a loss-leader due to their mixers are AVB but they have Dante speakers...but may be worth testing one out sometime.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and info!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:34:07 PM by Kent Clasen »

Robert Healey

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

I worked on a very large converged AVB and Dante network (1k+ channels) that was successful using Extreme Networks enterprise-grade switches. There was even some Cobranet for the paging system but I recall we kept it on its own switch. It was not for the feint of heart or probably everyday users - it required a strong integration team and extensive manufacturer support both from Biamp and Extreme, but it worked in the end.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.