ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante to AVB interface?  (Read 357 times)

Kent Clasen

Dante to AVB interface?
« on: April 21, 2021, 08:41:34 am »

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with running Dante mixer into a speaker DSP that uses AVB input?

I see the PreSonus interface [which looks inexpensive] but have never used one...
https://www.presonus.com/products/AVB-D16

TIA.

Robert Healey

Re: Dante to AVB interface?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 10:49:03 am »

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with running Dante mixer into a speaker DSP that uses AVB input?

I see the PreSonus interface [which looks inexpensive] but have never used one...
https://www.presonus.com/products/AVB-D16

TIA.

Kent,

The new Biamp TC-5D is designed for this very application:

https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB/TesiraCONNECT_TC-5D

EDIT: I think this only works as a Dante endpoint in a Tesira system. Is the DSP a Biamp?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:52:23 am by Robert Healey »

Kent Clasen

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:14:47 am »

Kent,

The new Biamp TC-5D is designed for this very application:

https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB/TesiraCONNECT_TC-5D

EDIT: I think this only works as a Dante endpoint in a Tesira system. Is the DSP a Biamp?

Hi Robert!

Long time no talk...

Not Biamp- it is a Meyer Galaxy.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:27:15 pm »

it is a Meyer Galaxy.

That Presonus box (first time I've heard of it) is remarkably inexpensive for its capabilities and might be worth a try. The other option is something that does Dante to AES3 (like a few Avios) and skip AVB entirely.

If you do go the Dante-to-AVB route, just bear in mind that the networking infrastructure requirements for AVB are very different from Dante (or really anything else).

-Russ

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:42:30 pm »

If you do go the Dante-to-AVB route, just bear in mind that the networking infrastructure requirements for AVB are very different from Dante (or really anything else).

-Russ

To go right out and say it...you really shouldn't be running dante and AVB on the same network.  That said, i have, on my bench, gotten dante and cobranet (AVB's grampa) to coexist happily on the same network, but would never deploy a configuration like that in the wild though.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35:28 pm »

To go right out and say it...you really shouldn't be running dante and AVB on the same network.  That said, i have, on my bench, gotten dante and cobranet (AVB's grampa) to coexist happily on the same network, but would never deploy a configuration like that in the wild though.

You are a magician, David.  Any hints?
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 08:54:20 pm »

You are a magician, David.  Any hints?

Oh man,  I got called out.  It's been some time, but i do recall the usual dante settings, and then I think I was doing MAC address filtering to block the cobranet clock (and any multicast bundles, each multicast bundle is a different broadcast MAC) from the dante side. I only have enough cobranet devices laying around to test probably 8x8 on that side, and around 16x16 on the dante side, so it wasn't a large scale test by any means.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 01:09:14 am »

Oh man,  I got called out.  It's been some time, but i do recall the usual dante settings, and then I think I was doing MAC address filtering to block the cobranet clock (and any multicast bundles, each multicast bundle is a different broadcast MAC) from the dante side. I only have enough cobranet devices laying around to test probably 8x8 on that side, and around 16x16 on the dante side, so it wasn't a large scale test by any means.

MAC address filters and multicast management.  Got it!

This is for my own amusement since we still have a couple Cobranet devices.  I expect to spend some time with Wireshark.

Too many dangerous critters in audio... sharks and snakes (some are cobras).
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 09:35:39 am »

MAC address filters and multicast management.  Got it!

This is for my own amusement since we still have a couple Cobranet devices.  I expect to spend some time with Wireshark.

Too many dangerous critters in audio... sharks and snakes (some are cobras).

I plugged in an old switch I used back in the day when I was working with one of those cobranet E-snakes at a local venue.   I configured the last two ports on that switch to block cobranet so I could safely connect an access point.   If you look at the attached photo you will see the MAC's that I blocked.   The first 8 should correlate to multicast bundles 1-8.  The last two should correlate to the clock.
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Kent Clasen

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:11 am »

While the PreSonus does look like a good price, I would rather go with something I know will work and be reliable. I think Dante to AES is the easiest / simplest way to go.... Looks like there are several available 2ch-16ch interfaces. I need 8ch so good to go.

I kinda wonder if PreSonus has this as a bit of a loss-leader due to their mixers are AVB but they have Dante speakers...but may be worth testing one out sometime.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and info!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:34:07 pm by Kent Clasen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:11 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.