ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: small line array  (Read 5265 times)

Tamar Ghobria

Re: small line array
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 05:22:58 PM »

Clients asking is the best reason.  Depending on audience size you can get away with 4 tops and as many subs as you need.   EDM playback is much more forgiving than live in that way.

What do you have for subs?

I am putting together an entire system

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 05:53:38 PM »

That means nothing. 

What is your budget?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »

I like the RCF HDL6's a lot!  Four per side do not a line array make from a physics and accoustical stand point, but that really doesn't matter!  Your clients listen "with their eyes" and not with their ears so give them what they want.  FBT is another company that makes a similar small line array system, but is probably pricier than RCF.  The D.A.S. Eventer 26A is very similar in size and price, but I have not comparied the two systems.  I have installed a couple of HDL6 arrays and they work and sound very good, but both were much larger than 4 box arrays.  Full disclosure - I am a dealer for all three brands but I do not sell mail order.  I'm not trying to make a sale, I'm just trying to help you with your issue.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:57:33 PM by Don T. Williams »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 07:17:19 PM »

Line array probably is not needed but clients ask for it and I am losing too many jobs because I don't own one...needs to be a lightweight powered system...RCF HDL6 works but backordered for 6 weeks

I'd find an alternative solution for 6 weeks and then get what you want.  I picked up JBL VT4886's and went with the passive version.  Light weight, easy to handle and scaleable.

The RCF's you're looking at are lighter than the JBL's.  I bought them all used, may end up replacing a diaphragm or two and maybe a couple of drivers, but paid less than $0.50 on the dollar compared to new stuff.  For the $35-$40K I saved going used, I can do a little repair and still come out good.

Today, the logistics of moving the gear around is an important consideration.  Having lugged 250-400 lb junk around in the past.  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:47:26 PM by Steve-White »

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 04:47:29 AM »

I'd find an alternative solution for 6 weeks and then get what you want.  I picked up JBL VT4886's and went with the passive version.  Light weight, easy to handle and scaleable.

The RCF's you're looking at are lighter than the JBL's.  I bought them all used, may end up replacing a diaphragm or two and maybe a couple of drivers, but paid less than $0.50 on the dollar compared to new stuff.  For the $35-$40K I saved going used, I can do a little repair and still come out good.

Today, the logistics of moving the gear around are an important consideration.  Having lugged 250-400 lb junk around in the past.  :)

The dB tech DVA Mini is a good alternative, the latest version is single boxes unlike the earlier one which ran in pairs, I would also argue the DVA subs are great bang for buck both in size and price. We've had a Mk1 Mini system now for a few years and it has been reliable and very easy to assemble and transport.

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »

That means nothing. 

What is your budget?

Asked and answered previously 15k

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »

Asked and answered previously 15k

Is that for the PA or the whole thing?
Will you be using motors or chainfalls?
Do you have spansets, shackles, safety wire etc...
All the associated "equipment" to fly the gear can add up pretty fast also.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »

Used Geo S might work.   12 per side with subs gets surprisingly loud.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 02:51:10 PM »

Used Geo S might work.   12 per side with subs gets surprisingly loud.

LABster Kent Classen installed a bunch of Geo S8 rigs with S-2 subs in municipal auditoriums and similar venues.  I'll be tending one of them next week. :)

I'd like to mix on a 12 box S8 hang.  I've been very pleased with the 8 box rigs in theaters and auditoriums.

After using enough Yamaha gear over the years I came to understand some of the underlying, guiding philosophy behind their product choices; it did not surprise me when they invested in Nexo.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kent Clasen

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »

LABster Kent Classen installed a bunch of Geo S8 rigs with S-2 subs in municipal auditoriums and similar venues.  I'll be tending one of them next week. :)

I'd like to mix on a 12 box S8 hang.  I've been very pleased with the 8 box rigs in theaters and auditoriums.

After using enough Yamaha gear over the years I came to understand some of the underlying, guiding philosophy behind their product choices; it did not surprise me when they invested in Nexo.

Hi Tim!

yeah, those S8s ticked the boxes in several venues at the time due to discreet size and great sound. Now there are several options. The most we have used is 13 in a hang- I believe you have worked there, as well. I think that venue holds around 2500-3000?

Used S8s with analog processors with analog amps would probably not be too costly.

Have a good gig. Glad you are getting back out there!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 23 queries.