Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

USB Oscilloscope for Audio Work

<< < (2/6) > >>

Steve-White:
Moving away from a PC based solution to a stand-alone scope.  Looks like something suitable with 4ch capability can be picked up in the $500 range.

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on April 18, 2021, 02:52:55 pm ---Moving away from a PC based solution to a stand-alone scope.  Looks like something suitable with 4ch capability can be picked up in the $500 range.

--- End quote ---

Look at Rigol. No direct experience but a trusted friend with much industry experience recommended them to me a few years ago. --Frank

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: Frank Koenig on April 18, 2021, 05:50:06 pm ---Look at Rigol. No direct experience but a trusted friend with much industry experience recommended them to me a few years ago. --Frank

--- End quote ---
Hmmm. I have Rigol DS1102E on my bench and while it works, I do not love it. I know that's an entry level product, but that might be at least an indication to look above entry level. Another thing to keep in mind is that cheap scopes come with cheap probes, which can be a real liability.

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: Ike Zimbel on April 19, 2021, 12:05:06 pm ---Another thing to keep in mind is that cheap scopes come with cheap probes, which can be a real liability.
--- End quote ---

True. To put things in perspective, one probe for my Tektronix scope costs almost twice as much as much as an entire Rigol DS1102E. And those are not by any means the most expensive probes. We used to joke about the terror of running over a $1000 scope probe with your office chair. It would likely make a little crunching noise. I've come close. --Frank

Mark Wilkinson:

Two $500 or less digital scopes that appear to be consensus favorites on EEVblog and other techy sites, are the Rigol DS1054Z at $350, and a bit more capable  Siglent SDS1104X-E at $500.
I have the Rigol and it is far more capable than I am...  If i were choosing again, i'd get whichever one had the easiest menu navigation & settings methods.
For amp testing I really like an old Fluke 123 battery powered handheld......it's isolated and i can't blow it up haha....and it's a handy little bugger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version