ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: External hard drive  (Read 2046 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: External hard drive
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 11:34:50 PM »

FWIW, the Department Chair back at school insisted his Recording students buy the OWC external drive(s). Too many others had failures, in his experience.

Dave

We've sold a few thousand OWC drives over the years.  While there was a batch of their Neptune drives that had a higher than normal failure rate, their pro drives have been extremely rock solid. Very few failures that we've seen.
Brian Jojade

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 02:36:52 AM »

I need a external hard drive for recording multitrack directly on for an upcoming session.
My MacBook doesn't have enough HDD space for this, we're talking about 40 tracks@48K for a couple of days (rehearsals + show).
Looking for something Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C powered, SSD preferably.

Any ideas?

You should be able to calculate space needs per session based on channel count.  If you’ve got that internal consider recording internally and then moving sessions off to usb drives as needed.  That way an accidental cable bump won’t wreck your recording.  When you copy off to external put it on two (or more) disks.

If you must record to external then gaff the cable to the computer so it can’t get accidentally unplugged.

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »

You should be able to calculate space needs per session based on channel count.  If you’ve got that internal consider recording internally and then moving sessions off to usb drives as needed.  That way an accidental cable bump won’t wreck your recording.  When you copy off to external put it on two (or more) disks.

If you must record to external then gaff the cable to the computer so it can’t get accidentally unplugged.

This is how I handle live recording.  Usually end up with 40-50GB of audio and transfer it off the internal SSD to external drive at end of night.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »

Helge - there's no reason to pay for an SSD drive for recording - rotational drives have the throughput to easily do 40 tracks 2 48K. I'd also second OWC as they have multiple bus-powered USB-C drives; I replaced my aging Firewire Glyph drives with a G-TECH 4TB USB-C drive that's externally powered. Better to have power for one less thing to go wrong on recording. Once SSD prices come down, I'll look at them, but I've had zero problems with multitrack recording or playback, either from my new MacBook Pro or from my 2013 MBP using USB 3.0.

Regardless of what you get, I'd recommend subscribing to Backblaze.com - for one price per month it backs up your Mac and any and all drives you have, attached or not (yes you have to attach them if you want them backed up at some point, it's not wizardry). I had my old 4TB Western Digital drive die on me, and Backblaze shipped me a transfer disk in a few days. Copied the files to the new drive, and sent it back - zero cost.
If you sign up with my link, you get a month free, I get a month free. Or don't use the link - I'm fine either way as it's a great service, especially for having a cloud backup of all your drives.
https://secure.backblaze.com/r/01a5ln

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.