ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX controlled system power? DMX Mains Relays?  (Read 5924 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
DMX controlled system power? DMX Mains Relays?
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:22:07 PM »

What is out there that can switch the mains power on/off using DMX? Preferably something I could put in a J-box locally instead of spreading these relays out on the electrics.

Does such a thing exist? Or do I have to build it using regular 120V relays and a smaller DMX relay for the control signal? That may be much more cosst effective I guess.

How are you handling mains power to a permanent installed lighting rig?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

Re: DMX controlled system power? DMX Mains Relays?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »

What is out there that can switch the mains power on/off using DMX? Preferably something I could put in a J-box locally instead of spreading these relays out on the electrics.

Does such a thing exist? Or do I have to build it using regular 120V relays and a smaller DMX relay for the control signal? That may be much more cosst effective I guess.

How are you handling mains power to a permanent installed lighting rig?

I used one of these to control an older pre-DMX D50 hazer. Worked great and I had 3 channels left over. There's probably other similar units out there.

https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/dmx-4/

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »

I used one of these to control an older pre-DMX D50 hazer. Worked great and I had 3 channels left over. There's probably other similar units out there.

https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/dmx-4/

I am using something similar in another room, but I can tell you these don't "open" 100%. I have one of these turning on/off a bank of small moving lights and even when "off" there's a bit of voltage leaking through that makes the red LED's flash faintly, all the time.

I wish this would work because I have a whole pile of these 4 channel dimmers laying around here.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:12:05 PM »

ETC of course has the Sensor IQ DMX/Net3 controlled circuit breaker panels, Echo relay panels, and Foundry 1, 4, and 8 circuit DMX relays.
Lyntec makes DMX-controlled circuit breaker panels.
Northlight DMX has 1, 4, and 8 circuit DMX relay modules. They also have new 20A one and four circuit modules. All the others are 10amp relays.
The ETC Foundry stuff is not bad price-wise for ETC quality.
Scott Hofmann

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 07:22:29 PM »

There are some items on this page that would be useful but it might be cheaper to go with a lower capacity relay pack driving high current contactors.
Depends how many channels you need.
https://www.fullcompass.com/category/lighting-theatrical/lighting-control/power-relays/
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 07:47:59 PM »

Not that I’m a personal owner or installer here, but for these types of situations I’d only consider ETC solutions.  The stakes are usually too high to depend on anything less.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 10:13:20 PM »

Not that I’m a personal owner or installer here, but for these types of situations I’d only consider ETC solutions.  The stakes are usually too high to depend on anything less.

Eh, I don't know about that really. Huge factories are depending on off the shelf contactors everyday, and when those go down it costs many thousands of dollars per minute until it's fixed. The technology is common and very robust. We just need to get it to speak DMX.

https://www.omega.com/en-us/control-monitoring/relays/solid-state-relays/ssrl240-660/p/SSRL240AC10?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTm3xlgNp2ygJaMfDb6x7vK-D9Jkf-v8Ct1q152V31RvXJNlS2led_4aApklEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Way back in the day we'd build big J panels full of these things and feed it control voltage from those capacitive touch DJ lighting controllers. These relays would switch banks of pinspots on/off. These rigs would last for years and years and if a relay failed it was 10 minutes of work to replace.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 04:08:07 PM »

Just curious, why do you need DMX control?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »

I am using something similar in another room, but I can tell you these don't "open" 100%. I have one of these turning on/off a bank of small moving lights and even when "off" there's a bit of voltage leaking through that makes the red LED's flash faintly, all the time.

I wish this would work because I have a whole pile of these 4 channel dimmers laying around here.

You can stop the LED flash by putting a resistor in the circuit somewhere.  I did it a million years ago, but I don't remember the details. I made a short extension cable with the resistor in  the receptacle.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.