Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

DMX controlled system power? DMX Mains Relays?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jeff Lelko:
Not that Im a personal owner or installer here, but for these types of situations Id only consider ETC solutions.  The stakes are usually too high to depend on anything less.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on April 15, 2021, 07:47:59 pm ---Not that Im a personal owner or installer here, but for these types of situations Id only consider ETC solutions.  The stakes are usually too high to depend on anything less.

--- End quote ---

Eh, I don't know about that really. Huge factories are depending on off the shelf contactors everyday, and when those go down it costs many thousands of dollars per minute until it's fixed. The technology is common and very robust. We just need to get it to speak DMX.

https://www.omega.com/en-us/control-monitoring/relays/solid-state-relays/ssrl240-660/p/SSRL240AC10?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTm3xlgNp2ygJaMfDb6x7vK-D9Jkf-v8Ct1q152V31RvXJNlS2led_4aApklEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Way back in the day we'd build big J panels full of these things and feed it control voltage from those capacitive touch DJ lighting controllers. These relays would switch banks of pinspots on/off. These rigs would last for years and years and if a relay failed it was 10 minutes of work to replace.

duane massey:
Just curious, why do you need DMX control?

Jerome Malsack:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-DMX512-Controlled-Switch-Converter/dp/B00R6DGSAK/ref=asc_df_B00R6DGSAK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312026024613&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1478701917676670934&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007664&hvtargid=pla-420282169846&psc=1

I put in a box with a heavy relay to turn on and off. 

rack mount possible and  fitted with  powercon connectors to support the safety side. 

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on April 15, 2021, 05:52:07 pm ---I am using something similar in another room, but I can tell you these don't "open" 100%. I have one of these turning on/off a bank of small moving lights and even when "off" there's a bit of voltage leaking through that makes the red LED's flash faintly, all the time.

I wish this would work because I have a whole pile of these 4 channel dimmers laying around here.

--- End quote ---

You can stop the LED flash by putting a resistor in the circuit somewhere.  I did it a million years ago, but I don't remember the details. I made a short extension cable with the resistor in  the receptacle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version