ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Generator should I buy?  (Read 4938 times)

jackscott

Which Generator should I buy?
« on: April 15, 2021, 07:02:36 AM »

I want to run 2 Mackie Thump18 subs (both 1200w output power), along with 2 Mackie Thump15a (1300w output each). Also 2 cdjs and a mixer. Which generator do you think would be suitable for this set up?

Update- Sorry I think i posted this in the wrong section. I'm new to this site!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Which Generator should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 12:13:43 PM »

I want to run 2 Mackie Thump18 subs (both 1200w output power), along with 2 Mackie Thump15a (1300w output each). Also 2 cdjs and a mixer. Which generator do you think would be suitable for this set up?

Look at the actual rated amperage draw and you can go from there.
Honda EU and Yamaha EF inverters are arguably the best, with models to 45 amps.
Quiet and reliable.
I would guess the 2000s or 3000s would be about right.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »

What Dave said!  Avoid the "construction" type generators - very noisy and all over the place with voltage and line frequency variations.  The inverter type are very good until you need the larger Quiet Power type for larger events.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 05:17:49 PM by Don T. Williams »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:08:00 PM »

I use a Honda EB2800i for smaller setups.  Reliable, easy to start and quiet.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/EB2800i

I've used the smaller footprint suitcase type fully enclosed generators.  Why I got rid of them is the fuel system is very touchy.  The tank sits in front of the engine, the carburetor on the small OHV engine is mounted at the head, above the fuel tank when it's 3/4 full or less which necessitates the need for a fuel pump.  The diaphragm fuel pumps are not reliable if the generator sits more than about 30 days without being ran.

The Honda EB/EJ2800i are open frame type generators with fuel tank mounted on top.  Gravity fed fuel feed, no fuel pump and larger tank capacity plus easy access for maintenance.  When finished just turn fuel off and run carburetor dry until it stalls and put it into storage.  Mine had sat for a year during COVID, when I fired it up a month or so ago.  Use fuel stabilizer and store generator in a climate controlled area to prevent moisture accumulation in the fuel tank when not in use.  When running generator, any generator after extended storage, put a  dose of Berryman's or Sea Foam into the full tank of gas before starting and run the full tank empty under load condition varying from 50% load to 100% load.  Generators can test run without load and appear to be operational and stall when load is applied.

I'm not a Honda Fanboy, any suitable size inverter is the way to go as they are built to be quiet.  The Harbor Freight inverters are probably just fine as a lower cost alternative to a Honda.

Run time on the Honda EB2800i I use is 10-12 hours depending upon load.  I've used it for outdoor gazebo weddings followed by night time outdoor reception and provided the area walkway lighting from parking area to the gazebo.  So, suggest you look at a generator capable of more than just running the PA.  Had some food warmers plugged into it and customer was real happy with that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:41:32 AM by Steve-White »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »

How often and how long do you need to run this for?

If you look at the spec sheets for the Thumps, the rated current draw for the subs is 150 watts, and the tops is 75 watts.  (strikingly less than the BS 'peak' power they advertise...)  If you're running the speakers at reasonable levels, ie, not a solid clip light, those values are going to be a fairly close gauge. 

So your speakers need about 450 watts, and let's say 200 watts for the rest of your stuff.  That puts us at about 650 watts needed for your system.  If you need the system to run for 4 hours, that's about 2600 WattHours

So, if you don't want to mess with a gas generator, you could spend more $$ and get a lithium battery supply.  The YetiX 3000-Watt Electric Switch Start Lithium Battery Powered Portable Generator has a capacity of 3032 Wh, which should easily be able to run your gear for a typical event.

The battery generators do cost about twice what a gas generator does, but you also have to figure how much you'll spend on gas on the unit, as well as maintenance, etc.  If you burn through the tank of gas in the night, that's $6 per time it's used at $3/gallon.  If you use it once a week for 3 years the cost starts to even out.
Brian Jojade

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 09:03:12 PM »

Unfortunately those power rating are advertising fiction, in reality those subs have 500w amplifier and the tops are about 250w, I have the amp module from a TH18s on the bench right now and look at what is printed on the circuit board in the pic below...

The good news is those are the numbers you need to estimate power requirements, 1500w in speakers and maybe a another 200-300w for the small signal electronics means this will run off a 2kw generator, if you want to factor in some additional headroom make it 2.5kw to 3kw.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 11:02:15 AM »

Unfortunately those power rating are advertising fiction, in reality those subs have 500w amplifier and the tops are about 250w, I have the amp module from a TH18s on the bench right now and look at what is printed on the circuit board in the pic below...

The good news is those are the numbers you need to estimate power requirements, 1500w in speakers and maybe a another 200-300w for the small signal electronics means this will run off a 2kw generator, if you want to factor in some additional headroom make it 2.5kw to 3kw.
own/have owned for a decade now, a Honda EU2000. I can get by with it running (2) old mackie srm450 tops and a single mackie SWA1501 sub, plus small analog mix console and wireless mic setup. Could I run a second sub?  have never tried over the years, but the math looks to be really close.
Most of my outdoor/no power weddings I just run a bose L1c and power it with a battery pack (1200) unit that really is only pumping about 750watts, but it'll run the bose for several hours.
Largest non-commercial generator stage I've had to mess with used a honda 3500 for the band's stage gear..keyboard, (2) guitar amps, 1 bass rig, pedal boards and if memory serves I tossed the stage DMX lights on that same rig...then the PA was on a honda 7500..that was a pair of 3-way powered tops, pair of 18 subs, (4) powered monitors and a digital console...
back to the lil eu2000, it is quiet enough  if it's not running WOT and it's been great to have it when needed. But yeah, they are definitely finicky about their fuel mechanism...I always use non-ethanol, but if it's going to be a longer term storage , I'll disconnect fuel line and drain it best I can so the carb can run dry, cause the "off" switch does not let the fuel run out, so it kinda creates it's own problem.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »

own/have owned for a decade now, a Honda EU2000. I can get by with it running (2) old mackie srm450 tops and a single mackie SWA1501 sub, plus small analog mix console and wireless mic setup. Could I run a second sub?  have never tried over the years, but the math looks to be really close.
Most of my outdoor/no power weddings I just run a bose L1c and power it with a battery pack (1200) unit that really is only pumping about 750watts, but it'll run the bose for several hours.
Largest non-commercial generator stage I've had to mess with used a honda 3500 for the band's stage gear..keyboard, (2) guitar amps, 1 bass rig, pedal boards and if memory serves I tossed the stage DMX lights on that same rig...then the PA was on a honda 7500..that was a pair of 3-way powered tops, pair of 18 subs, (4) powered monitors and a digital console...
back to the lil eu2000, it is quiet enough  if it's not running WOT and it's been great to have it when needed. But yeah, they are definitely finicky about their fuel mechanism...I always use non-ethanol, but if it's going to be a longer term storage , I'll disconnect fuel line and drain it best I can so the carb can run dry, cause the "off" switch does not let the fuel run out, so it kinda creates it's own problem.

I've run an outdoor House music show with my Yammie EF6300.  Four Th118, two SM80 on a DNA20k4, plus 2 DXR15 and 2 DXS15 (texas headphones).
The power meter on the Genny was at about 25% max.  Ran almost all day on a tank.

For long term storage, use a fuel stabilizer.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 06:34:27 PM »

My go-to is a Honda eu3000is (23 amps) for my 3-way rig (with Crown power amps: XS4300, XTI4000, IT6000), digital mixer, etc.
It handles the PA plus guitar/bass amplifiers well.

I have used the same PA (but with an analog mixer) for outdoor DJ'd events powered by a Predator4000 generator and it worked well.

The Honda is an inverter thus it is quiet thus you can keep it close-by the stage. The Predator is non-inverter, ....it's loud.....thus it has be be rather far from the stage or behind a barrier (truck/wall, etc).

Try renting one first.  If you are in the US, Home Depot rents the above Honda units (at least the Home Depots in my area do).

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »

I've run an outdoor House music show with my Yammie EF6300.  Four Th118, two SM80 on a DNA20k4, plus 2 DXR15 and 2 DXS15 (texas headphones).
The power meter on the Genny was at about 25% max.  Ran almost all day on a tank.

For long term storage, use a fuel stabilizer.

I rented one of the larger Hondas for a demo on the Red Bull HQ parking lot in LA. Two stacks of SH-96HO over 4x TH-118.  That demo rig was set up for 240v operation so I got the converter cable (IIRC that's the part that does it) and I got it as loud as anyone wanted it and the generator did not care.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.