Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

RCF L18-P200N replacement

<< < (2/5) > >>

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on April 14, 2021, 04:21:49 pm ---I did that with B&C and a couple of other manufacturers. 18TBX100 and TBW100 came out pretty good and about similar performance. 18TBW100 has a slight edge. 18SW115 only has a 1 dB advantage, so I'm thinking it might not be worth the extra $$$.
Then again, I could be wrong.

--- End quote ---

Ok, let me modify this slightly.
If i put in the 1500W available (intended amplifier) per driver, 18TBX100 is out of excursion. 18TBW100 is close to the limit, 18SW115 isn't even close.
So, given a bigger amplifier I should be able to extract more performance from 18TBW100 and a lot more form 18SW115?

Chris Grimshaw:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on April 14, 2021, 04:40:10 pm ---Ok, let me modify this slightly.
If i put in the 1500W available (intended amplifier) per driver, 18TBX100 is out of excursion. 18TBW100 is close to the limit, 18SW115 isn't even close.
So, given a bigger amplifier I should be able to extract more performance from 18TBW100 and a lot more form 18SW115?

--- End quote ---

Correct. The 18SW115 is rated for more power, and IIRC also has more excursion. ie, greater output potential. It all amounts to getting more sound out of the same amount of cabinets, but as you've noted, more power input will also be required.
IMO, increasing output density (dB/L) is a Big Deal. Most of my cabinets are optimised in that direction, and I use high-end drivers and plenty of power to get the job done. It means I can pull off some impressive stuff, like a stadium setup with 2x 15" subs and 1x 2x10"+HF per side hitting 85dBC-slow (103dB peak) at 85m.

I don't know how important weight is to you, but going for neodymium drivers will save you a few kg.

Chris

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on April 15, 2021, 02:25:45 am ---Correct. The 18SW115 is rated for more power, and IIRC also has more excursion. ie, greater output potential. It all amounts to getting more sound out of the same amount of cabinets, but as you've noted, more power input will also be required.
IMO, increasing output density (dB/L) is a Big Deal. Most of my cabinets are optimised in that direction, and I use high-end drivers and plenty of power to get the job done. It means I can pull off some impressive stuff, like a stadium setup with 2x 15" subs and 1x 2x10"+HF per side hitting 85dBC-slow (103dB peak) at 85m.

I don't know how important weight is to you, but going for neodymium drivers will save you a few kg.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Weigh saving is an issue, not so much on this project. Lost 12kgs per box switching to neo in my KF750.
I'm going to check a few neo drivers and look at what's possible in terms of SPL/$$$ and amp/$$$.

Helge A Bentsen:
I have 18TLW3000 in some subs already, simulates pretty good in this box. I'd say it matches the 18SW115 pretty good (in this box).
Going to pull out a pair and test it, I didn't think it would fit so I didn't consider it initially.
Having more drivers of the same kind = extra backup.

Chris Grimshaw:
Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated please.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version