Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

LF haystack

<< < (8/8)

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on June 11, 2022, 03:43:29 PM ---I can't speak for the French, but up until the L-series Meyer always insisted that each individual box, whether point source or line array, should have a ruler-flat mag trace (which, in fairness, does make them very easy to test on the workbench). Of course, put 12 of them together and the summation below the crossover will produce a huge haystack (and not necessarily a nice-sounding one, either).

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Which is why a Galileo was required to drive the system. The Galileo had the low frequency compensation built in, you just had to tell it how many boxes in the array.

Mac

Jelmer de Jong:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on June 11, 2022, 03:43:29 PM ---I can't speak for the French, but up until the L-series Meyer always insisted that each individual box, whether point source or line array, should have a ruler-flat mag trace (which, in fairness, does make them very easy to test on the workbench). Of course, put 12 of them together and the summation below the crossover will produce a huge haystack (and not necessarily a nice-sounding one, either).

-Russ

--- End quote ---
I think that is kinda weird for a box(Milo) designed to be used with eight or more per side. The French have their '6 box vdosc curve' which comes down to a 6dB LF boost around 100Hz and its their target curve for any new box they design. Besides some odd situations here and there, i rarely use a dual 15" three way speaker with less than 12 a side so unless I use the magic array compesation that some manufacurers offer the starting point is 'big boom haystack'.  ;D
If it was me designing presets, a dual 12 or 15" speaker would be flat-ish when used 12 per side. For a bigger array you would need a bit of LF cut and a smaller array would need some LF boost.
Current presets, without array compensation would make you think that the LF haystack is what people want. Reading through this topic, it clearly isn't.  8)

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Jelmer de Jong on June 15, 2022, 08:15:39 AM ---I think that is kinda weird for a box(Milo) designed to be used with eight or more per side. {...}

--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons (perhaps the only reason?) that Meyer's L-series line array boxes aren't individually "flat".

That said, at least around here you'd be hard-pressed to find a Meyer array that didn't have a Galileo (of some kind) behind it, so at least in some people's minds the disadvantages of having to use array correction (that you were probably going to use anyway) were outweighed by the advantages of being able to test any Meyer box in a very rudimentary test rig and know just by looking at the mag trace whether it's working properly or not.

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version