Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

LF haystack

(1/8) > >>

Kent Clasen:
Hello all!

When tuning a sound system for a live music venue what do you or your customer/mixer people ~usually~ like to hear for the sub low end haystack relative to mid frequencies? Obviously this is very subjective but wanted to see what other’s experiences have been.

It would seem with an aux feed sub that if you have ~15dB of hay stack that when pushing the system you would run out of headroom in the subs much quicker.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Kent Clasen on April 14, 2021, 10:34:30 AM ---Hello all!

When tuning a sound system for a live music venue what do you or your customer/mixer people ~usually~ like to hear for the sub low end haystack relative to mid frequencies? Obviously this is very subjective but wanted to see what other’s experiences have been.

It would seem with an aux feed sub that if you have ~15dB of hay stack that when pushing the system you would run out of headroom in the subs much quicker.

--- End quote ---

As a BE I (re-)tune for flat ("equal amplitude"), but I know I'm weird.

-Russ

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Kent Clasen on April 14, 2021, 10:34:30 AM ---It would seem with an aux feed sub that if you have ~15dB of hay stack that when pushing the system you would run out of headroom in the subs much quicker.

--- End quote ---

That's only true if you don't bring enough sub for the way you want to operate it.

Personally, I like to tune my system pretty flat and then adjust the individual channels to sound the way I want them to.  If I need more low end on a channel that produces low end, I fix the problem there instead of using the system EQ to do that.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on April 14, 2021, 12:23:43 PM ---

Personally, I like to tune my system pretty flat and then adjust the individual channels to sound the way I want them to.  If I need more low end on a channel that produces low end, I fix the problem there instead of using the system EQ to do that.

--- End quote ---
You would get a better spectral balance on a "board" recording this way as well.
That said, if I am mixing a contemporary pop dance band, I like an aux fed sub so I can push the whole bottom end for different songs.

Chris Grimshaw:
Another one for flat system. The PA should convey what's coming out of the mixing desk to the audience. The art/science line is (IMO) at the master outputs of the mixing desk.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version