ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My 'Poor Man's' wireless mic system.  (Read 4561 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My 'Poor Man's' wireless mic system.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 11:49:27 PM »

Having a clear line of sight from Tx to Rx is important with 5GHz (and 2.4), so placing the receiver on a XLR cable and mounting it higher, away from obstructions is always a good idea.

I think where you are going to find a major difference between "budget" systems and the big names is frequency management and link robustness. If you only have a single wireless system then you will probably be fine, but if you start running several wireless mics and wireless instruments then I think the budget systems will start to show their weakness. Currently I'm running 3 Shure GLXD (2.4) systems and have (knock on wood) never had a problem, even in very noisy RF environments with multiple WiFi networks visible, tons of people on phones, microwave ovens nearby, etc.

It might not be as efficient as the more expensive systems but  considering the club is in a very busy and built up part of town and we were running other wireless set ups too, I think it did great.  Plus the receiver was only 18” off the ground so not bad really.
Not sure I’d risk anything critical with it but it’s worth having fun with on the more relaxed shows and anywhere else it might come on in handy.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 07:18:32 AM »

When you can get an acceptable result from a $100 wireless mic...I call that a win even if the battery doesn't last long. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:24:21 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jay Marr

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »

It might not be as efficient as the more expensive systems but  considering the club is in a very busy and built up part of town and we were running other wireless set ups too, I think it did great.  Plus the receiver was only 18” off the ground so not bad really.
Not sure I’d risk anything critical with it but it’s worth having fun with on the more relaxed shows and anywhere else it might come on in handy.

Hmm....this may actually be a nice way to get other guys in the band using wireless mics to clean up the cable runs on stage.
Or even acoustic gigs for me since I'm less than 10 ft from my mixer.
Or....some other reason I will make up, just because I have GAS.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:18:59 AM by Jay Marr »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »

When you can get an acceptable result from a $100 wireless mike...I call that a win even if the battery doesn't last long. :)

Exactly Keith - I mean come on... it's not like it's that big of an investment...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 10:05:31 AM »

When you can get an acceptable result from a $100 wireless mike...I call that a win even if the battery doesn't last long. :)

Isn't the Sennheiser plug on actually for ENG use, not music? 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »

They are very useful for lots of things.

I have used them for Schoeps CCM mics to enable quick podium changes.

And a well known country act used them to make their "retro" mics wireless.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »

As John said, they are handy for quick lectern changes. Great for a boom to camera hop on location recording as well.
I have not used one for a singer.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »

I got one of the Sennheiser XSW-D sets last year when they ran them on sale for $199. Seems to work fairly well, but I had a loud singer the other day using it and I think he was overloading it a bit. Other than that I've been fairly happy with it for the price. I don't do enough gigs to justify dropping $600 on a proper wireless system. If I need another wireless I might have to give the JOYO a try.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 02:42:18 PM »

One th9ing I don't get is that the XSW sets with a regular base station seem to have no external antennas at all, I wonder how well that works as regular whip antennas for the frequencies they operate on would be taller than the case. Must be either horizontal antennas inside or shorter than the standard 1/4 or 1/2 wave systems usually use.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »

One th9ing I don't get is that the XSW sets with a regular base station seem to have no external antennas at all, I wonder how well that works as regular whip antennas for the frequencies they operate on would be taller than the case. Must be either horizontal antennas inside or shorter than the standard 1/4 or 1/2 wave systems usually use.

Microstrip PCB antenna, possibly in two planes.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.