ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic for stage bleed reduction  (Read 5631 times)

Les Kanekuni

Re: Mic for stage bleed reduction
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »

Wow everyone - thanks! I forgot how great this forum is.

Basically I already knew most of the answers I would get but wanted to double-back here. One exception is; I had never heard of the Optogate - until now. I'm going to do some reading.  The guitar player doesn't sing that much, which makes me think this might be a good solution. I don't like using my board's gates with IEM mixes. Too many complaints with the clicking off/on sound in the ears. Next show I might try it and see if I can soften it up.

He's aware and willing to make adjustments as needed, with a great attitude, so no concerns there. The drummer does not play too loud at all - actually very under control and everything in his kit sounds fantastic. No to the drum shield - we spend 5 hours setting up the lights and pixel boards, and another 3 taking them down the next day. No more gear for us, and it wouldn't fit the band's rock image on stage.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to stick with the 935 for now, and try gating the mic with my mixer. The Optogate might be next, we'll see. As this is his issue in his ear mix only, it's not a dire emergency for me. Perhaps I just need to push him to sing louder and get up on that mic a little better.

The only issues we had with Optogates, when we had them, was the lighting problem (already mentioned) and that the sensor can be a little slow.  If the singer backs off the mic when not singing, then suddenly lunges to the mic when they are singing, sometimes part of the first word got cut off, particularly if the singer was off to the side of the mic instead of in-line.  (The infrared sensor picks up in-line with the mic.  The pickup range of the sensor can be adjusted.)

Steve Garris

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »

Just a follow up to your questions, the guitar vocal gain is not super high, just a little more than others.
Using a Senn 935 helped a lot, but he still wants more isolation from the drums.
His guitar rig is at a reasonable level, so the drums on stage will be the loudest thing, but I still don't believe they're too loud.
He is not in front of the drums - he's stage right. Stage is 24' x 12'-6" deep.
His IEM's are not of high quality - I failed to mention this.
I might revisit the gate, using some settings recommended in this thread.
I don't have an expander - wish I did now.

Right now I'm considering showing him the Optogate, but we have a lot of flashy-blinky going on. Again, we're not doing a drum shield.

He's a good sport - I'll talk to him about getting up on that mic and singing a little louder. Often, it's just when he talks to the audience where I run out of fader.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 03:25:08 AM »

A couple of thoughts:
- As someone else has suggested, angling his mic to point further away from the drums might help by a few dB.

- If he's quiet while talking but okay when singing, that can be fixed. People generally sing louder than they talk, so reminding him to project when talking will likely get things "close enough".

- Better IEMs = better isolation from acoustic bleed, but won't fix what's going into the mic.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »

Again - until this is fixed AT THE SOURCE, nothing else matters.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.