ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic for stage bleed reduction  (Read 5601 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Mic for stage bleed reduction
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »

pro and con on the pressure switch on the floor is you may need to use dynamic mic with no phantom power.  phantom power will pop the system when on and off triggers. 

this might also be the problem with opto  gates.   Best if on the default  dynamic mic so switching on and off will be without the pops.

It depends on the design, but most muting devices (including the Optogates) shouldn't cause audio pops with condensers. The typical design for these is to mute the audio by shorting signal hot to signal cold, which should have no effect on phantom power.

-Russ

Scott Bolt

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »

Sure, a mic can help a little; however, as others have pointed out, the loudest sound at the mic wins .... which is of course true.

Would you be interested in a drum shield?  If the drums are getting into his mic, I bet you a dollar they are getting into other microphones as well.  [sarcasm] Nothin better sounding than drums re-amlified with some singer effects like delay and reverb to help tighten up the mix ;) [/sarcasm].

I think this will make more than the backup singers mix sound better, and it will save you some money on the shock collar you were fixin to buy for the drummer!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:45 AM »

Would you be interested in a drum shield?  If the drums are getting into his mic, I bet you a dollar they are getting into other microphones as well.  [sarcasm] Nothin better sounding than drums re-amlified with some singer effects like delay and reverb to help tighten up the mix ;) [/sarcasm].
Er, already suggested and rejected:
No to the drum shield - we spend 5 hours setting up the lights and pixel boards, and another 3 taking them down the next day. No more gear for us, and it wouldn't fit the band's rock image on stage.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:51 PM »

If you can find a CM310 with a return policy, I respectfully submit you get it, try it out, and report back here. 

https://reverb.com/item/5378837-crown-cm-310a-differoid-condensor-cardiod-microphone-kurt-cobain-style-live-mic-new-old-stock
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:31:06 PM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »

Yes, there were 2 suggestions:  less from the drummer and more from the singing voice.  The former was rejected by the act or nature of the gig, and the second remains unaddressed.

Acoustic problems are best met with acoustic solutions.  In this case, the 'natural' signal to noise ratio at the vocal mic.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:04 PM »

Must have missed it.

Still a better solution IMO.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 09:15:30 AM »

I get good results from the Audix OM7 and use it mainly for drummers who sing for just the reason you state. You have to be right on the mic and have the gain turned up higher than usual but it is great for rejecting everything else.

+1 you stole my thunder!
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 11:06:39 AM »

If you can find a CM310 with a return policy, I respectfully submit you get it, try it out, and report back here. 

https://reverb.com/item/5378837-crown-cm-310a-differoid-condensor-cardiod-microphone-kurt-cobain-style-live-mic-new-old-stock

We used the CM310 for stadium announcers for years until it was discontinued.   It also features very low handling noise.   I still have two of them that were pulled out for drummers when I did that sort of thing.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 12:52:24 PM »

+1 you stole my thunder!
Wasn't that the goal?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Les Kanekuni

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 03:25:52 PM »

I'm back after a year off from covid - just doing a few shows a year now.

My primary band uses all IEM's. I have an issue with the guitar player. He is hearing way too much drums in his ears (they're not in his mix). I showed him that they're coming through his vocal mic, which has a very high gain setting. He often speaks and sings too quietly, requiring the high gain.

I decided to switch out his standard issue 58 for a Senn 935, which he liked better, but it didn't really eliminate the stage bleed. Can anyone recommend a quality vocal mic that would eliminate more of the drum stage bleed? He's only singing backups, and there are no monitors or feedback issues with this band.

With very high gain it doesn't matter what mic you use.  Gate his mic or use an Optogate.  Also, move him away from the drummer.  If he typically stands directly in front of the drummer, his mic will be pointing directly at the kit when he's not singing.
http://www.optogatesolutions.com/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 03:25:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.