ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing cable ramps  (Read 2612 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Securing cable ramps
« on: April 12, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »

Some time ago, I posted a question about cable ramps (i.e. where do people get them, any issues with use, etc...).  Thank you!  A lot of good responses and suggestions!

Question:  Has anyone secured cable ramps to asphalt using screws (course thread).  Maybe you have secured them going through the top of the ramp (in the non-cable run area).

Others have referenced their cable ramps tend to move/drift a little when vehicles/people walk over them during the course of an event.  I saw some cable ramps that have flat areas on them (maybe at each corner of the ramp); thinking these areas could be used to put some screws through them into asphalt.  I'm not sure what I would do on concrete.

I'm thinking of ways to keep the ramps in a static location.  Maybe this is not worth the effort...?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Securing cable ramps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:04:08 PM »

Question:  Has anyone secured cable ramps to asphalt using screws (course thread). 
I have securred other items to asphalt with screws, but I'd be inclined to put them through the base of a cable ramp before any cables are installed.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:10:15 AM »

I have securred other items to asphalt with screws, but I'd be inclined to put them through the base of a cable ramp before any cables are installed.
Good point.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:11:33 AM »

I'm thinking of ways to keep the ramps in a static location.  Maybe this is not worth the effort...?

The plasticy, budget ramps do tend to slide, sometimes breaking off the locking tabs. Gaff tape is of little help. If rubber "stall mats" are laid down first, they slide less - but, that's twice the work and more than double the weight. The heavy rubber ramps perform much better.

Check with the venue before drilling/screwing anything to a solid surface. In the outdoor festival world, Tent Providers carry patch mixes for concrete and asphalt to plug any holes created by anchors (part of their contract). Tapcon screws should work for either material, but I would be concerned about the plastic ramps tearing or cracking at the drill sites.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »

The plasticy, budget ramps do tend to slide, sometimes breaking off the locking tabs. Gaff tape is of little help. If rubber "stall mats" are laid down first, they slide less - but, that's twice the work and more than double the weight. The heavy rubber ramps perform much better.

Check with the venue before drilling/screwing anything to a solid surface. In the outdoor festival world, Tent Providers carry patch mixes for concrete and asphalt to plug any holes created by anchors (part of their contract). Tapcon screws should work for either material, but I would be concerned about the plastic ramps tearing or cracking at the drill sites.

Dave

Thanks for the info referencing the cheaper plastic ramps; this was my concern.  Yep, the Tapcon screws is exactly what I was looking for... couldn't remember the name!  So far, I have one customer that doesn't care if I anchor to their parking lot (they own the lot and the building).  I plan on bringing a bag of asphalt (small bags used for patching) to fill any holes. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 09:57:28 AM »

Dave

I thought I had seen it all, the depths of human stupidity.  A drummer at a festival forgot his drum mat.  Instead of asking for help he headed off to his truck and grabbed a 2x4 and a couple of drywall screws and fastened it to my deck.  I totally lost my shit internally but checked my tongue, as I was trying to explain to him this was not a homemade plywood drum riser it was, it was about 30k of decks, ME's, locators, backrail and stairs.  He seemed totally unable to comprehend why anyone would be upset over a drywall screw.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »

I thought I had seen it all, the depths of human stupidity.

Scott,

You had me at "drummer"  ;D .

I admire your composure. Not sure I would have reacted as well.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »

I thought I had seen it all, the depths of human stupidity.  A drummer at a festival forgot his drum mat.  Instead of asking for help he headed off to his truck and grabbed a 2x4 and a couple of drywall screws and fastened it to my deck.  I totally lost my shit internally but checked my tongue, as I was trying to explain to him this was not a homemade plywood drum riser it was, it was about 30k of decks, ME's, locators, backrail and stairs.  He seemed totally unable to comprehend why anyone would be upset over a drywall screw.
Nice!

Well... on the opposite side of the "fence", we were setting up gear (years ago) on a stage and were talking about where to keep power/snake cables out of the way.  The guy who put up the stage ensured we understood not to attach anything to his stage.  From what I remember, his stage looked a bit rough, like it has been used to secure things to.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »

I have never had a problem with cable ramps sliding around but if I did I would try using grip tape taped to a few spots on the bottom (towards the center) so the ruff side would be in contact with the asphalt in this situation.

I could be wrong but I also think if someone were to bump into it in such a way as to make it slide I think they might me less likely to trip and fall. But if you secure the cable ramps then there is no give and it is more likely that if someone were to bump into it and it didn’t move at all that person is more likely to fall over. This is actually from personal experience. The only time I fell when tripping on something was when it didn’t move. I tripped on a stage brake that was left in the wrong position and it just grabbed my foot and down I went.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:00:58 AM »

I have never had a problem with cable ramps sliding around but if I did I would try using grip tape taped to a few spots on the bottom (towards the center) so the ruff side would be in contact with the asphalt in this situation.

I could be wrong but I also think if someone were to bump into it in such a way as to make it slide I think they might me less likely to trip and fall. But if you secure the cable ramps then there is no give and it is more likely that if someone were to bump into it and it didn’t move at all that person is more likely to fall over. This is actually from personal experience. The only time I fell when tripping on something was when it didn’t move. I tripped on a stage brake that was left in the wrong position and it just grabbed my foot and down I went.

I fell for the first time in many years last year.  The operator did't put the lift gate down the last 2" so I was at a quick walk (for a 58 year old) and then dead stopped..  I was shocked how fae the items in my hand traveled.  I was totaly helpless to arrest my fall saved my shoulder but ending up hitting my face and knocking two teeth out along with a big shiner
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:00:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.